Disc Not Supported (Toy Story DVD)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poppe, Nov 24, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey,

Just trying to figure out why I can't play a Toy Story on my DVD player... I insert it and the DVD player comes up but then tells me that Disc not supported or something like that... Kinda weird.

Let me know what I can do. Thanks

Oh its a rental from a local video shop, but I would imagine it is a region 1 DVD...

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Little Mermaid does not work either... just an FYI. Let me know what you think

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Disney conspiracy?

Do you have a screenshot you could post?

Try VLC?

B

4. CDailey macrumors regular

Does it have extra "bonus content" when you insert it in a computer dvd drive? Maybe that is causing the problem.

5. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I take it both discs work in your set top DVD player?

6. powerboy macrumors regular

I have the same problem with Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and other Pixar movies. A little bit ironic. Must be some copy protection that prevents the disc from being used on a computer.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yes set top DVD player works with both disc.

And to the other posters. The disc won't even start up at all... It's not even recognized under Mac the Ripper (not that I am trying to rip it just checking it that worked) as well...

Could I have accidentally set my computer to the wrong region? And how do I fix that?

8. Selenolycus macrumors regular

Right. Is that why you've a link to that terrorist group, the EFF, tucked so neatly into yout signature, huh? We're onto you. The RIAA's bringing you down.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If you're using Apple DVD Player, it should tell you if the region setting is wrong for the disc you're trying to play.

Maybe Disney is using some sort of new hyper-security on their discs that computers don't like... that would be odd, though.

Did you try VLC? Does the disc not even mount on the desktop?

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I doubt that would be it since it is toy story DVD which was released awhile and no one else really had the problem...

Yeah man good ole EFF...

11. 17luv macrumors member

I thought you could change your region a few times before it locked on you ..or is that just a windows thing..so maybe it isn't a region thing, unless you have changed it a few times?

12. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

you can change the region 5 times before it locks it

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, it's possible it's getting caught up by the "bonus content" part? Try changing the options in Sys Prefs for what to do when you put a DVD in to do nothing. And then put it in, wait until it shows up on the desktop, and then right click it and select to play it from there....

14. jpcos macrumors newbie

I know this may be of little help, but I have tried Toy Story, Little Mermaid Limited Edition (old release) and Little Mermaid Platinum Edition in my iMac G4 and iMac C2D and all worked fine.

These are both running 10.4.8. It's not a Disney DVD incompatibility with Macs thing, but maybe something specific to your settings or your drive.

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah I tried that but I have had no luck. It will no show up on the Desktop at all...

Any other ideas or should I head to the Apple...

16. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I had that problem with The Bourne Identity. Everyone swore up and down that it shouldn't be a problem but I could never get it to play. Amazingly enough I even got an email from Paramount (?) saying it should play but....

The optical drive on my PB has gotten really fussy over the last few months and will only play discs that are in pristine condition. I've since been using my external DVD burner to play DVDs and that works just fine. I think the optical drive is either dirty or failing.

18. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

oh man that's no good... sad thing for me is little mermaid is brand new... and so is my MBP...

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe your computer is just smart.:p

20. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

You mean smart not to play the mermaid?

Played sunset Blvd nicely but that was a burnt disc so might make a difference. Gonna try a non burned DVD to see if it works... I keep having quirks with my computer like my keyboard stops working... Restarting or logging off usually helps. Maybe on that particular day that was all that was needed... I'll let you know...

UPDATE: Yep it seems that now the DVDs are working. Thanks for everyones advice. Hope this doesn't keep happening...