Disc read error, Xbox 360 + Burned disc

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Feb 25, 2007.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok so I have a 360 that sits horizontal. My buddy who is staying here for a bit has his 360 set vertically. Last night he kept getting a disc read error message while playing Rainbow 6 Vegas. He'd restart and then go back in. This happened about 4 times when he decided to take out the CD and there it was...this rather deep (something I can stick my nail in) and about 1cm wide sort of scratch all the way around the disc! It's as though someone spun the disc and stuck a hard point against it and just let it go. It's bad and of course he's not about to try another game out.

He seems to think the 360 can't be vertical, most who have a 360 seem to know it not only can be, but they have those cooling stands that are for vertical placement. I'm wondering if anyone knows what may have caused this. The game and xbox were bought at Game Stop (EB Games) so he's going to go in and see if they can't replace the unit and the game but we're still curious.

2. iGav macrumors G3

Why... don't you take the absolute worst CD you can find and try that and see if it does the same thing? Try it in both the vertical and then in the horizontal positions to see if the problem manifests itself regardless of orientation.

That might give you an idea. Was he absolutely sure that the disc was flawless before he put it in?

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah, well it wasn't like this and it was only about a month old.
    I think he would have noticed it before, I noticed it as it was being taken out of the tray.

4. PCRanger macrumors regular

I've heard of this happening if the console is bumped during play, but not just of it's own accord?