Disc sessions compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Feb 11, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I use pc with nero to burn discs with sessions.
    I use mac also to read and write discs, cd,dvd,cdrw,dvdrw.

I wonder about the compatibility of sessions between the mac and pc, or the nero and toast titanium.

I thought they were compatible but I put a multisession-written(in pc) in my macbook pro and I was able to see only the first session of disc, because I saw only part of the whole contents I had in this disc.

I want to know what to expect for in order to make my decisions.
    If there are incompatibilities do I have to select whether to write all my session discs to mac or all of them in pc?
    But this is not comfortable at all.

I need your advice.

Am I the first one to face this problem?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For CDs that I want to read on both platforms, I close them.

Note, I use Nero Express on the PC and Toast on the Mac.

Heck, now with thumb drives having large capacities and being so cheap these days (4GBs or about 5-6 CDs worth of data for less than $100), I use one of them for using/moving files between my Mac and PC.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

How can I write a multisession disc in toast? The session option in recording settings is shaded and I cannot select it.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The session option is available on media that supports it. You cannot write multi-session DVDs. Should have no problem with CD-R/RW though.

Multi-session discs are often troublesome when going cross-platform, I don't know why. I find it easier just to rewrite the disc...

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I really do not understand.
    What it means I cannot write multisession dvd on mac?
    The same series of discs I use in pc and I can write sessions without a problem.
    How can I start a multisession recording in mac?
    Write something today, something new tomorrow.

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I am trying to find my way to mac os x world...it is a little bit hard though.

I read in google that session is not a friendly procedure in mac os x, so I downloaded the free app burnxfree.

Unfortunately not even this application give me the option to create multisession disc. It has the option 'leave the disc appendable' but it is shaded and I cannot check it!!!

The same disc stuff in windows and nero is multisessioned!

Please HELP ME!

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Toast multi-session burning "just works" providing you choose "Write Session" instead of "Write Disc" and the disc has not been previously closed. I've done it successfully with CD-Rs.

I don't know why, but it does not let you use sessions with DVD-R/RW media. Maybe it would work with DVD+R?

8. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I appreciate all your help.

But is there anyone not to fear to tell me the truth?

Does mac and mbp drivers or mac os x REALLY SUPPORTS sessions?

I tried so many apps, toast, burnxfree,burnagain etc.
    Not even one app gave me the setting to burn session or leave the disk appendable.

I cannot tell it's a dvd disc matter. Something else going on.

Mac os x is good, I am a switcher but if windows has something better we have to admit it.

I use windows many years and these things was simple like a game.

Now I am feeling like I am reinventing the wheel.
    So many post about it, so many apps to try, so many discs to try, so many searches in google. For what???

9. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

It is fair to tell all the newcomers to mac and switchers that they should forget the disc recording sessions.

I thought at first that it was a compatibility problem(topic title).
    How I could ever think there is no session support at all?

Mac os x super os, does not support it. So simple? Shame.

10. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

BurnAgain DVD from FreeRideCoding might allow you to do multi-session DVDs, but since I don't use it, I can't say with any certainty. As for compatibility with PC apps, I haven't a clue.

http://freeridecoding.com/burnagaindvd/index.html

12. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ι do not search for compatibilty anymore! The question now is about the existence of session technology...on mac!

I tried BurnAgain but it could not recognise dvds I put to the drive. I tested many disks.

It seems that not a single mac user in the world, has ever written a multisession dvd, using the mac.

13. wonders macrumors newbie

• Multi session DVDs are not supported by Mac OS X, only CDs.
    • Dragon Burn and BurnAgain DVD allow you to burn multiple sessions but you can't read anything but the first session with OS X/the Finder.
    • Nobody seems to care. :(

I also find this insane, when all the time OS X reads packet written DVDs (DLA/InCD on Windows) without any problem.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To the OP, why do you need to burn a multisession data DVD?

There might be other alternatives that you could consider.

15. avruser macrumors newbie

another Windows feature you are going to miss in Mac OS X... how sad... :(

16. Old-lag macrumors newbie

Sushi,

Here is a scenario - my mother visited me for a few weeks.
    Everytime her set of media cards for her camera filled up I burnt them to DVD - I used multi-sessions on the PC. By using multi-session I am saving money and saving resources (think 'eco'), and minimizing the luggage she will have to take back. (8 time zones away).

She gets home and reports that she only can see the first batch of photos - Yup... she was converted to a Mac. I search to find out why and discover this thread.

At least she knew that there was something missing. It isn't hard to imagine scenarios where a PC user sends a MAC user a DVD. MAC user finds files on the DVD and so thinks they have the data and never realizes.
    (I suppose that possibility could make a good argument for not writing multisession disks... .but I don't see why it should also preclude reading them).