Disc space

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by St. George, May 8, 2003.

1. St. George macrumors member

Hello
    My iMac has 60gb disk space (although when I look it up it says Capacity: 55.89GB)
    I've got all the standard aps that come with the system plus a few other small aps I've put on since having it. The system says that I have used 12GB of space! And I can't work out how I've used all this. I think it started showing this after loading up Jaguar.

The biggest eater of space I have is with music stored via iTunes - about 2.5GB.

Any ideas with how I can determine whats using so much space?

Could it be log or temp tupe files?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to post a seperate question to the above but I'll add it to this one. What do you reckon is the best osx jaguar book/manual that I can get my hands on? I looked in a store at the weekend and there were quite a few to choose from - at £30 a throw however I thought it would be best to make an informed purchase.

Kind regards
    Marcus

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

What about the reserved space for the scratch disk?

3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Does the system actually say that you've used 12GB, or are you subtracting how much you have available from 60GB?

(You mentioned in your post that you had a 60GB drive but that the capacity read 55.89GB. This is normal. When they sell the HD, they advertise it as 1K=1000, but the used standard is 1K=1024.)

You might want to do a search by size in the finder and see if you can find any large files that shouldn't be there.

4. St. George thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.
    Eniregnat - sorry, what's the scratch disk - I'll do a search on Google.
    Limelite - yep, is does say that I've used 12GB above the capacity of 56GB. And I did a search on Finder - nothing massive - the largest file at the moment is Unreal Touranment which I got today (it Rocks!).

Thanks

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Just start getting info on each main folder. Start with the main drive and then work your way in. If you select more then one folder you can get information on the whole group of them with there total size.

If I get information for all the folders in the root folder except fo the users folder (which contains all the MP3s, image files, etc.) the total is 7.67GB. This is for all my OSX apps, OS9 apps, OS 9 system and OSX system. Now add in your MP3s and other data and I think you will see that you easily achieve your 12GBs.

6. St. George thread starter macrumors member

Thanks MacBandit - I didn't realise osx etc used so much space.

7. ozubahn macrumors regular

You can also try OmniDiskSweeper. It is a little program that provides a hierarchical listing of everything on your drive, with all sizes listed and so forth. It makes it very easy to find large useless files that you weren't aware of:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's not so much the system but all the free apps that come with it. Nows when you should thank Apple for the hundreds of dollars of software they include.:)