disc utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saga, Dec 16, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

Hey,
    I was trying to copy a home dvd, and disc utility showed a message that said that it was unable to copy image, input/output error. What does this mean?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

3. saga thread starter macrumors regular

the movie was made with a vcr to dvd recorder. It is on a dvd-rw. I put the disc in and everything started fine. disc utility began to copy the image, but about 5-10 minutes into it, it promted me with the forementioned message.

4. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller............

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Can the disc play on your Mac? Can you copy other discs?

In your situation, I'd try copying the disc in a disc burning program. Toast has never failed me.

6. saga thread starter macrumors regular

I have just approached the situation using handbrake. I was able to extract 1/2 the dvd, considering the dvd consists of two segments. I am however, unable to successfully extract the second segment: which will rip only 4.23% of the segment. Very odd. I can copy other dvd's and play them. I can also play the one I want to burn.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That is curious. Maybe you could just copy the second section from the VIDEO_TS folder?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Does the DVD have a folder named "SONATA" by any chance? Some recorders encrypt the recorded video (Sony, LG are a couple that might use it). The only way I was able to copy or otherwise use the VOB was to use DVDFabDecrypter, which runs on Windows.

9. saga thread starter macrumors regular

How would I do that?

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If there's a VIDEO_TS folder on the root of the DVD, you can open the various segments and copy the ones you'd like. The DVD might be ecrypted, as gr8tfly said, and that would make ripping the DVD a pain.