Discoloration on new iMacs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tortus, Jun 26, 2002.

1. tortus macrumors member

I went into to Fry's Electronics the other day and noticed that the "new" iMac display model was looking a tad discolored. I assumed that the poor iMac had been there since the initial release date and being at Fry's does not help with condition of any display model.

I was just curious to see if anyone has had problems with the discoloration of the base of their new iMacs.

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

it would probably be that the base got dusty or something. Thats not a big deal

4. iGav macrumors G3

Remember those Tomy Omnibot things from the early 80's?? They were white when new, and after a year they went the worst shade of cream ever....... :eek:

5. tortus thread starter macrumors member

Not Dust

I tried to wipe of the what I initially thought was dust but discovered that the white base had a nasty off-white hue to it.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Are people allowed to smoke in there?? Depending on how close to the door it is, and the amount of traffic that goes by, it could be from vehicle exhaust. Or it could just be from their bad vibes that is getting it all nasty... :D I have heard plenty of horror stories about people buying things from Fry's. Ones worse then even from [in]compusa...

8. tortus thread starter macrumors member

Air at Fry's

Who knows what is in the air at Fry's. And, I am sure that people smoke all kinds of stuff in the off hours at that place.

It looked as if someone tried to glaze the iMac base. Looked really tacky.

9. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Using glass cleaner like windex on plastic will give it a yellow haze. Most computer stores use windex on the computers.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I noticed the same thing at the CompUSA in Birmingham Alabama last weekend. People should not use Windex on computers, but alas they do. It was the worst color of cream I have ever seen.

11. tortus thread starter macrumors member

Good call Spock. The monkeys at Fry's would wipe their asses with sandpaper if you told them or clean computers with Windex if you didn't.

12. iGav macrumors G3

It's the curse of the Tomy Omnibot....... :p

I think it's just something that goes with white plastic... it'll show up marks super easily...... and generally seems to discolour over time...... But I hate Snow so it'll hopefully never affect me....... unless of course... Apples new pro range of macs are white in colour..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. coolocity macrumors regular

Could just be the lighting in the store. Everything @ Comp USA looks off-white bc of their lights.

- John

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

That's kind of sad. People smokin sh!! by the supercomputer, along with exhaust. :(

This could be from carelessness, as I am reminded of a story when a neglectant store employee faced a 22 inch Cinema Display into the sun over a long period of time. (This was in early March.)

I think people are starting to get a bit lazy with Apple. Also they seem to be getting a bit careless with products. If they let it turn yellow they then care less. That is so sad.

Well, looking at my iPod puts me back in a happy state. :cool:

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey...cobras arent suppose to be happy man. your ruining your disguise thier dawg. change your pitch up!;)

16. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Cleaner?

What kind of cleaner should you use on your mac? IF I get a job at CompUSA I want to know whats right.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Cleaner?

Water...

18. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Re: Re: Cleaner?

especally for the motherbord right?;) ;)

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Cleaner?

:rolleyes: Apple says to use a damp cloth (with water) to clean the plastics and screen. Use anything else at your own risk. :p

20. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaner?

there is a product called Kleen's Apple Polish, designed spifically for the lcd screan of an apple computer. compusa dosnt sell it (as far as i know) but you can get it off the apple store

21. Quark macrumors regular

My iMac is still like new

I have had my new iMac for a while now and there hasn't been any problem with the color.

You never know where demo's/floor models have been - for all we know it could've been uncovered in the back of a truck for a few weeks.

5+ months and all is clear.

Quark

22. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Fry's

Isn't everything at Fry's Discolored?

-evildead

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, fyter, it doesn't matter if better are acting like they have been fa!!!!! !ow and suddenly diss me, my iPod always cheers me up, knowing that I have converted someone to at least use it! :D

Besides, the cobra's on a break right now. I am listening to this awesome remix of Points Of Authority by Linkin Park. It is so futuristic. That puts me in a happy mood as well.

Let me speak your language if I may, fyter...

you damn right, cobras arent ever happy, thats why i joined the dark side and became a sith :D
    :cool:

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: Cleaner?

Macs- use water

pee-cee's- use hydrochloric acid

So what's a smoldering pee-cee between you and CompUSA?