Discount on Powerbooks and Ibooks on Amazon.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by erickg, Nov 4, 2004.

1. erickg macrumors 6502

I'm sure everyone allready knows about this, but I noticed today that Amazon.com has a $150 mail-in rebate on powerbooks and ibooks (only looked at the 12" versions)! That brings the price of the new ibooks down to about 850 bucks! Of course you don't have the option of a larger hard drive or bluetooth...

This is the link to the iBook

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bate-info/104-8474781-6771935?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

E.

2. KSource macrumors member

Edu discount would be better on the PB, but the iBook I guess that's a good deal?

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Not necessarily. It was cheaper for me to buy from Amazon because they don't charge sales tax in all but 3 states. Apple charges sales tax on all purchases, including those with the EDU discount. So on a PowerBook, that saved me an additional $180 at Amazon.

4. eswaran macrumors newbie

great offer

Amazon's is a great offer that I want to use to buy an ibook. Only thing stopping me is that it has only a 30Gig Hard Disk. Any ideas on how easy it is to upgrade the hard drives/memory after buying from Amazon?

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Hard disks are very hard to change they are not like RAM, i have not tryed to change one my self but its deep in the body of the laptop so you might need to open the whole thing up.

6. sotied macrumors regular

Offer is not really that great

I just spent two weeks intensively shopping iBooks and PBooks to see the best deal and the best answer for me. This might not work for everyone, but I got an iBook, 14-inch, 1.2GHz, 1.2GB of RAM, 60GB HD, BlueTooth mouse, BlueTooth dongle, AirportExtreme installed, FREE PRINTER, FREE Wireless base station, FREE case, FREE headphones and earbuds, discounted shipping and a $50 rebate on the purchase from ClubMac.com.

The final price BEFORE rebates was $2225.79. The price after was around $1875. AND after I get all the rebates by sending in the UPCs, I'm selling the printer, case and headphones on eBay which should bring the FINAL price down into the $1500+ range.

Jeff

7. noirnoir macrumors newbie

this is acutally a repost, but i ordered mine last night and the only thing that sucks about getting this ibook thru amazon is that you wont get it for like another 2 weeks aleast, so you'll be waiting for a while.. like me

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

12" ibook

I just went to the amazon website and the 12" ibook does not have the rebate option by it. However the rebate form has the 12" ibook on it. Does anyone know anything about this?

9. durvivor macrumors member

Be Carefull

The rebate will only show if you purchase from Amazon.com. Its possible that your accidently navigating your way to one of the internal / external store within a stores like J&R. They have the same products, but since your not buying from Amazon.com you won't get the rebate.

10. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I went to the Amazon website and the rebate icon was not listed under the 12" ibook but you can view the rebate form under the other computers and when viewing the computer's rebate it had the 12" ibook listed. Try and go look, I couln't see the rebate icon under the 12". I want to buy one from amazon but only if they have the rebate. Does anyone know what states are taxed from Amazon? Thanks.

11. UCLArocks macrumors newbie

Has anyone received their 12" ibook from Amazon?

I'm wondering how long people have to wait for their 12" ibooks (the 1.2, not the 1.0) when ordering from Amazon. I ordered last week and am waiting, but I may have to cancel if they don't ship it soon. Has anyone actually received theirs yet? How long did it take? Thanks!

12. noirnoir macrumors newbie

mine got shipped on monday, but its going to the wrong address, it said it would be delivered on the 19th

13. flahiker macrumors member

I bought a 14 inch ibook from Amazon last week. Was $1495 before the rebate. No Tax. Shipping was $25, but i could have had free shipping if I had wanted to wait.

I would have liked to order a BTO, but it would have added tax of about $100, and then it was not as attractive. FWIW, it came on monday. The display is great, no bad pixels. I am totally pleased.

I do have a 512M SODIM to install. One word of caution, the screws are tiny.

14. UCLArocks macrumors newbie

thanks for responding. turns out when i called amazon to ask about it, a nice CSR looked into it and made sure it would ship the next day, making it an 8 day wait (6 business days) for it to ship. that's pretty reasonable.

by the way, has anybody else noticed that amazon pulled the original $150 rebate, took it away for a few days, and then replaced it with a $100 rebate? shady.

15. noirnoir macrumors newbie

hey does any on have the old 150 rebate, i left mine on my g4 and i got the ibook today and went home with out the old rebate.

please pm me a link or something HELP!

thanks

16. arrowhead macrumors newbie

Hey... check again. Amazon.com used to sell PB 15-inch 1.5GHz for $2499.99 before the $150 mail-in rebate. But, now they sell it for $2399 plus the $100 mail-in rebate, so that makes it $2299! 50 bucks cheaper than before.... It is also true that when I checked the price yesterday, it was still priced at $2499 plus $100 rebate, which made it look like shady a bit like you said.

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

For those who ordered from Amazon, did your order ship very soon after the status says your item is being prepared for shipment (and cannot be cancelled)?

I ordered last Wednesday, just wondering when it will ship. On Friday, the order status said it was being prepared for shipment. I hope that means it will ship today or tomorrow.

18. powerboy macrumors regular

My ibook came a day or two after the "being prepared for shipment" showed up on the order status page. I got an email saying my order had shipped about three days AFTER I had received my ibook (it still said being prepared for shipment when it arrived.)

19. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Thanks! That will be a nice surprise if it shows up today or tomorrow... :)