Discs in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by steve_hill4, Apr 26, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Okay so I'm using the beta 4 version of Parallels and struggling to get certain devices recognised under XP. I have an external HD plugged in and partitioned into three drives and I can also plug in a flash drive and none are recognised under XP, no matter whether I am actively within the XP window or not at the time I plug in.

Not that I use XP, but just something to give me an idea to help with development and maybe moving onto other virtual machines under Parallels.

2. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

There is no USB support under the beta 4 of paralells... that would be your problem. They just released the version 5 of the beta today, and that has limited support for USB. There are a lot of details on their site as to what each version supports/doesn't support

Also from what I understand there is no sound, and very limited video support in V4. They seem to be working out problems very fast though, and each beta has been a huge improvement from the last

3. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Beta 5 is very good, detected my various USB dangly-discs without any issues.

Sound (which has been in since Beta 3 I _think_, and great for me since Beta 4) is there, as is full-screen including dual monitor support (which coupled with the Parallels mouse driver means that you just slide over to windows on the other screen LOVING IT!).

I just can't speak highly enough about this product. Right price (esp with pre-order prices), stunningly fast development cycle, open-minded and aggressive road-map. As a web-developer who needs to worry about IE, it's just pure heaven. Safari, Firefox, IE all on one machine... perfect!

4. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

No USB support would make sense. Certainly if I were to say use my external drive full of lossless music and wanted to test frequency response under Adobe Audition an external disc is crucial. I do however have it connected through FireWire, although I assume the same applies here anyway.

I also think it's fantastic for multi-OS testing. If I were going to use this on a more regular basis and already had an iMac with much more storage, (than the 80GB on here), I would happily install it permanently along with XP and Fedora virtual machines.

Thanks for the help.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Apart from if you read the post above yours you'll see that Beta 5 *does* have USB support, so you should try that out. It rocks.