Discussion about past hopes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My sister and I had a heated discussion this morning. She and I took different paths. She took a Federal job, I entered in to the private sector.

Both of us were raised with the expectation that if you worked had, and did your job, that you were taken care of in the long term. For myself I have seen myself and so many others cast to the wayside as we approached 40 in the private sector.

So in some ways are we starting to legalized discrimination based on age? Is there any reason that WalMart should pay minimum wage? Is there any reason that our minimum wage should not allow a better standard of living?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There ain't no use expecting anyone to take care of you. That don't mean we shouldn't provide help, even federal money to programs to do just that. But don't plan your life around an expectation that someone else will 'take care' of you.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I blame the parents. :cool:
    What basis did your parents have for raising you with that expectation? Doesn't sound like the American Way to me.