Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Espnetboy3, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    I love macs and apple products and im working on my quicksilver with 733mhz 1.12 ram and 220gig . I need to say this because it has been bothering me alot its simply god awful. Safari really is soooo slow and eats cpu. Its loading time is terrible and in one of my advanced web design classes my professor who is very smart and knows spark linux unix macs very well says safari is bad to use and monitored by apple or something like that almost like a spyware maybe I dont really know i want to ask him again. One more hatred thing with my mac is apple dvd is simply a POS its terrible i mean it freezes its loading time is slow and soemtimes it wont even read dvds or play im sick of it. I know here that firefox also eats alot of cpu. I was using crazybrowser on my gf's pc and it was the fastest browser I have ever used and ive tested my cable connection and its very strong.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Your machine sounds more than capable. I would suggest reformatting and reinstalling OS X. Sounds like something is corrupt.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i would give Camino a try if you like neither safari or firefox
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't think so... you would have heard about it here first.
  5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    Remember, If you have Jaguar, Safari (in the earlier stages) was slow on most stuff. If you have Panther, then i am not sure what the problem is. But, In all experiences - Safari may not be the best, but it is fast. So what you are describing is definitely not normal.

6. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    i mean dont get me wrong guys safari is fast but do you truly think its the fastest or top browser I love the layout and all but the delay is what might slow it down alot.Why does it preload pages before it opens them up ? I am running 10.3.7 so I shouldnt have problems. A while back my ichat was eating cpu when running simultaniously with safari
  7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    The DVD player software works really good on my old G3 iMac. The trick is not to jump forward super fast with rapid fire of my finger when scrubbing a DVD. That is the only time it has crashed for me. Safari runs good too. I tried to compare it to other browsers but the difference really isn't noticeable. Reinstall OS X or get a Mac guru to take a look at your machine. The only spyware I am aware of is when you visit a site and it records which browser you use. I am proud to use Safari and get those stats up. I would still be happy with my iMac G3 if it wasn't for needing more speed for video encoding, Virtual PC, and games.
  8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Try this program. It makes Safari display the page as it loads.
    Click Here
  9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Um... huh? No, it doesn't. There's a feedback feature, as is with any browser, but Macs don't have spyware period. Let alone Apple spying on its users. Either you heard wrong, misunderstood, or your prof is high.

Delete the Preference file, repair permissions, try again. Safari shouldn't be running that slow. If nothing else, use FF for Mac. I think there's one optimised for Altivec, but I don't know.

Edit: what is it with people being so pissed off over the smallest things lately? Not just picking on you, but don't you think disgusted is kinda a strong term? Considering everything else that's going on in the world right now, your web browser being a little slow doesn't seem that big of a deal. Seriously.
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I don't know... just take the bad with the good and get along with your life...

Try repairing your permissions, and your professor sounds like he doesn't know much if he says Safari is spyware. Heh. Look at Internet Explorer if you want spyware...;)
  11. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    this is true im not going to lie I was very angry at the time i wrote this post due to madden 05 on ps2. The game is such a crok and I hate it. People glitch
  12. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Your first post said "Safari really is soooo slow" and now you say it's fast. Which is it? Or are you just trolling?...
  13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Maybe we should take a glance at my 'tar....
    ...or maybe you should give us some real info on whats happening?

Great app, Safari is now faster! :D Cool!
  14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I have a similar machine to the original poster and I've never had problems with Safari.

This "professor" - does he teach something technology related, or is it something like "conspiracy 101"?

If you're really anal about speed go get Lynx. :D :rolleyes:
  15. rkphoto macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2005
    I've been running Safari on my old G3 iMac (400 Mhz, 512 ram) for over a year with OS 10.3.7 and it's blazingly fast (for such an old machine). There must be something wrong with your system.
  16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    My girlfriend is running Safari on a Pismo with a G3@400MHz with 512MB RAM, and her Safari is (almost) as fast Firefox on my iBook G4@800MHz with 640MB RAM (not counting start-up time, although since we both have 4200rpm disks, it's annoyingly small difference even there...). We're both on OS X 10.3.7.

I think that if you're really having trouble with Safari, and not just p*ssed off after surfing on a couple of flash heavy sites, you should follow the advice above (deleting safari prefs, repairing permisions, etc, and - if all else fails - clean install).
  17. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    your missing my point safari is a fast or should i say quick browser compared to maybe older ones like opera its even faster than netscape and IE although there are some crazybrowser was blazing fast and what is the point and purpose of having the pages do the preload or delay page thing that safari has. Does is scan the website first for viruses or safety issues?
  18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I think it was meant as an optimization so that Safari doesn't use CPU time revising the page layout as more elements get loaded, like other browsers do. However, I agree with you that it serves to annoy more than help out. I've never heard of crazybrowser - what rendering engine does it use?
  19. hirstopher macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    Is anyone else concerned about this fellow's grammar?

I know, it's the internet, and grammar might be too much to ask for, but does it really take that long to use a period or a comma? Reading a post like this is brutal; it seriously taxes your comprehension when you have to manually sort out what this kid means. Grammar is a courtesy on the internet, I realize, however do everyone a favour and take the time to make yourself legible.

Anyways, that's my comment. Grammar's alright by me.

20. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    I think thats hilarious that u took time to right dat up on dis board christopher, sorry if i aint a english major or noffin
  21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I agree! Its hard to read, makes me not want to help, and overall is just like "Why should I bother?"

I'm not an English major either and at least I use a period (this symbol: .) and a comma every one in a while (this symbol: ,) and I try to spell check my posts. They usually turn out good. I'm just trying to make it easier for everyone else because its faster to type correctly than incorrectly... and I get more help in the end.
  22. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    You should sell your Quicksilver on eBay and buy a PC...you'll be much happier.
  23. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    my mac sucks = all mac sucks
    my safari is slow = everyone must have uber slow safaris also and be in denial

btw, a good portion of tech professors have lived all their lives in academia. which means that the only thing they can really teach is what was taught to them. that's why you read about a lot of professors saying stupid crap all the time. they are good for learning but not good on expressing opinions.
  24. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    First off I love my mac Im just saying Safari isn't nearly as fast as crazybrowser which I had used that day. Second I agree I don't know what my teacher was trying to say. We are arguing the same point. Although the teacher is genious with macs and computers and runs the whole school network and servers and is the main administrator in charge of the system.
  25. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    if you want speed give lynx a try, it's a bit basic but it's the fastest ;)

i have never had speed problems with safari i find it to be an excellent browser