Dish Network's Hopper wins CES best of show, but it didn't

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3...-cnet-editors-to-recast-vote-after-hopper-win

2. macrumors 6502

One of CNET's long time reporters resigned over this issue as well. As the guy stated, how will people go to CNET for unbiased reviews knowing something like this happened. Makes all of CNET's reviews less important if we know that the parent company can force some products out of the running.

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This was a bad decision by CBS and completely undermines the credibility of CNET.

4. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

who resigned?

I miss the great folks. Tom Merritt, Rich, Natali Morris.

Molly Wood doesn't do the fun Buzz Report anymore, Brian Cooley has slowed down.

CNET used to be a site I would check and watch daily. Now I rarely check it, except for occasional reviews.

5. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't really see how anyone could still have an enforceable patent on commercial skipping. I had a VCR in the 90's that included this feature. I guess it could still be enforceable for another two or three years. As I recall it was a Toshiba. So wouldn't they have the patent or was it just licensed to them?

6. macrumors P6

Peace

Entertainment politics at it's best.

Bad move CBS.

7. macrumors regular

Their ignorance on the actual technology and way the Hopper works is so evident in their hyperbolic anger towards it. It's so stupid. The thing *only* skips commercials automatically on shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime, it *only* does it if the show is over 24 hours old on your DVR, and those programs *only* stay on your DVR (if not set to record the show) for 8 days. The commercials are "stale" at that point anyway. It doesn't skip commercials on *any* other channels than the 4 major broadcast ones that can be used on PrimeTime Anytime. It's such a limited selection of items that are eligible for auto skipping it's just... silly for them to make such a big deal about it.

8. macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

This news article actually makes me want to go out and get a Hopper. Thanks CBS!

9. MacNut, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't the networks know that people have been avoiding commercials since the beginning of time. Bathroom breaks, snack breaks, VCR's. Commercials are not even ads anymore, they are pure entertainment. Make a good ad and people will see it.

10. macrumors 6502

Greg Sandoval resigned.

Same here, I used to rely on CNET for some good reviews but hardly find myself going there anymore. It's really too bad, CNET had a good thing going for a while.

11. macrumors G5

Consultant

12. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Same with me, I can't remember the last time I went there.

13. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

14. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, that was an awful commercial.