disinfect a keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Jul 3, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I won't go into the reasons of why, but if you disinfect your keyboard, how do you do it? I am sort of dense with all things domestic, so be specific if you don't mind, what products etc.

2. mromero macrumors member

mromero

Lysol?

3. mromero macrumors member

mromero

4. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I went to the Lysol website. They have a LOT of products. Which one would you use on a keyboard?

And with the alcohol, I mean, I guess the reason I wanted specific information is that I have never done this. Do you as the name applies just rub it over the keyboard, and with lysol; lysol is a spray. Can you just spray a keyboard without it affecting the innards (I have a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard)?

I apologize for being so annoying...I am living on my own for the first time and am also obsessive compulsive and like to do things the right way, and am afraid of germs but also afraid of chemicals, which is confusing as you might imagine. I just want to know the most normal, right way to disinfect a keyboard.

And yes, I know I am crazy.

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

It may sound rather anal, but I have completely disassembled keyboards, cleaned the plastic parts with bleach and the pcb with isopropyl alcohol.

I like to be thorough.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wouldn't use a spay can of stuff on a computer, since there is an off chance that a single droplet can migrate and short out the components.

Alcohol on a towel should work or moist towelette would likely be safer, unless you want to spray the towel with Lysol instead.

Spraying the keyboard may kill it or the computer.

7. mromero macrumors member

mromero

Um, no I wouldn’t just spray my keyboard with it. I would probably get a clean cloth and then spray some of the Lysol on it then gently wipe the keyboard down.

Same with the rubbing alcohol, first I would dilute it with some water. Then apply a little bit onto a cloth and wipe it down. You DO NOT want any liquid to enter the circuitry on the keyboard. It will fry it.

or these might work well...
    http://lysol.com/solutionsfinder_sanwipes.shtml

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Laptop keyboard : Spray iClear on cloth, rub in

External Keyboards : lysol or clorox wipes - I personally like the Lavender scented ones, might strip keys though.

Anti-bacterial Wet wipes are good for public keyboards

FYI: keyboards have 250X more bacteria on them than toilet seats...:eek:

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

that's nice to know! :eek: :D

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If it is your own keyboard, some kind of spillproof cover or "skin" may be in order. You can remove and disinfect this at will, without risking your keyboard

If it hasn't already been mentioned, any cleaning should be done with the machine turned off and unplugged, as there is trickle voltage present even if it is shut down. Battery removed for laptops, same reason.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you're worried about just touching the keys, take some rubbing alcohol, put it on a little cotton ball, and swab the keys with it.

Total cost is less than $5 at the local pharmacy.