Disk Accessing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by USN Squid, Jun 9, 2004.

1. USN Squid macrumors newbie

I put this in the wrong forum a second ago, so I'll report here. Sorry to those who read both.

I bought my PB refurbed, and have been happy with it for the most part. However, I've been having issues lately. Slow startup / shutdowns, not shutting down at all (having to ctrl-command-power), and most recently, very sluggish performance on applications.

When the system bogs down, I can hear a specific sound coming from the hard drive if I put my ear to the case. This should be interesting trying to type a noise. It does however have a pattern. It goes something like "read-read-reeeeeeeeeead" several times until it finally returns to somewhat normal several minutes later.

I have run permission repair and fsck. Is there anything else I can do?

Powerbook G4, 1.25Ghz, 512MB RAM, SD

2. osprey76 macrumors 6502

There are many factors that could be the culprit. Here are some ideas:

1. Is your hard drive almost full? There should be at least 1 GB or more of free space for swap room, etc.

2. Sounds like your hard drive might be having issues. My original drive in my Gigabit tower did that and that drive model apparently had a high failure rate. I had another drive do that recently and the system acted very odd afterward. That drive would not mount (it wasn't the boot drive, though) and the Finder loaded very, very slowly. However, once up it ran fine. I zapped the PRAM and repaired permissions to no avail. I was about to throw in the towel and then I tried Cocktail and ran the cron scripts and cleared out all of the caches. That not only fixed the problem, but the computer seems more snappy than before.

3. Double check Activity Monitor that something isn't eating all of your processor time.

I hope this helps.

3. USN Squid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

1. PLENTY of room on the drive. I'm at work right now, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking 20GB+ are free.

2. Is cocktail free? I'll hit google and see what that's all about. I'm a Mac newbie, so I've never even heard of it.

3. The only thing that really stands out in Activity Monitor is the kernel_task sucking on 50MB of my memory. Other than that, everything looks square.