Disk Eject

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AngryLawnGnome, Jan 7, 2004.

1. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Whenever I insert a disc into my powerbook G4, it immediately ejects after checking it for about a second. I've followed the steps under Not Accepting Media on this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275 including resetting the PMU except to take it in to Apple to be fixed. Does anyone have any advice before I try and take it in?

2. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

What kind of discs are you using? Trying to use the wrong CD-RWs or inserting DVD-RWs into an old DVD-ROM drive can cause the drive to eject the media.

3. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

ive tried tons of different disks, from cds to everything else

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i would go get that checked by an apple authorized technician.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

My first Powerbook 17" had the same thing happen - except it only happened with DVD's. I did a Dead on Arrival exchange with Apple for a different unit. This one works like a charm...:rolleyes:

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I don't know if it is an old player, but have you tried cleaning it, with a clean disk? or with a little cotton, if you can reach the lens of the player.

7. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

I have a disk cleaner, but it won't accept any disk so when I insert the cleaner it quickly ejects it.

8. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

Bizarre

Today I tried just inserting a disk again, and what do you know, it accepted it! Then I used the disk cleaner to make sure it wouldn't happen again and it chewed up part of the brush on it. No problem, though, it works again!:D

9. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

Please...I need help again!!!!!!!! AHHH!

Well, it's doing it again. This time something bad happened. I was ripping a CD and it was about halfway through when it just paused where it was, claiming it was still ripping. I tried to cancel but the wheel kept spinning, until I just force quit. I opened iTunes back up and tried again, and white text on the screen appeared on the screen in four languages telling me to reboot (I didn't know Mac OS X could do such a terrible thing! Mac's are above crashes!). Anyway, I turned it off (the computer was kinda hot), waited a bit and turned it back on. I ejected the CD, which was also pretty hot, and let it and the computer cool down. After they weren't hot anymore, I inserted the disc and tried to rip again. The rip went really quick and no songs were added. So I ejected and reinserted when, you guessed it, the disc ejected without being read. It continues to do so. Someone PLEASE HELP!!! (with the crash and the eject; any advice on software to use to fixed my screwed up computer?)

10. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you had a kernel panic, that's what that crash was. it's OS X's only major fault. I think the general concensus is that you need to have this looked at, unless you're extremely technically able you won't be able to fix a mechanical issue in the drive. It may need to be replaced entirely.

paul

12. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Like I said earlier, call Apple. I had a defaulty unit sent to me, so I had to exchange it. I know it's a bummer, but it is way better to have a functional machine that one that doesn't work at all.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No kidding :rolleyes:

14. AngryLawnGnome thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it sounds like I'm gonna have to, after cleaning it up a bit. It's just a matter of motivation now....:(