Disk First Aid Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alphajc, Jun 3, 2003.

1. alphajc macrumors newbie

May 8, 2003
    I have a 900Mhz iBook running Mac OS X 10.2.

Sometimes the laptop fails to awake properly from sleep mode, forcing me to do a hard reboot.

I remember in Mac OS 9 this would result in Disk First Aid to start up automatically during bootup. When trying to run Disk First Aid in OS X...I am only able to fix and verify permissions. The "verify disk" and "repair disk" buttons are greyed out.

Is this the case for all Mac OS X users, or is it a problem that applies to just me? I Windows XP I am able to run a disk scan manually but there doesn't seem be a way I can do this in Mac OS X. Is buying Diskwarrior the only way I can do this?

2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    read the attachment to this thread closely. if it doesn't apply to you and even if it does, restart your iBook, hold down the apple and "s" key until you see white text on the screen (hold down the keys when the grey screen appears and before the white apple) then at the prompt which should look like sh-2.05a$ , type in "/sbin/fsck -y". after it's done type "reboot".
    that should sorta fix some of the problems. if there's a bigger underlying problem i guess you'll have to get diskwarrior or a similar program
  3. dubweiser macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2002
    If your machine is shut down improperly in OSX, it runs DFA without telling you (while making you wait at the gray screen).

In order to run DFA you must boot off the OSX cd (by holding down the C key on startup). Then once you get to the installer, go to the installer menu and go to disk utility...then the first aid tab.

What the person above reccomended is FSCK, does the same as DFA but its not really a good idea to boot into single user mode if you dont know what you're doing.