disk image & a new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chinashaw, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Chinashaw macrumors member

Hi,

I am getting the new intel Macbook Pro to replace my old powermac, which leads me to my question....

a. Can I just copy across my existing macs programs etc?
    b. If so what is the best software to do this (is it some kind of disk imaging?)

Then before selling it, I want to ensure that my data has been deleted etc. So was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent data erasure program?

Thanks,

Nicholas

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think, the easiest way is to use Migration Assistant which can be found in your Utilities folder. It will copy across all of your files, apps, user accounts etc.

Not sure about deleting everything though. Maybe reformatting the HD?

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Start your old PowerMac up holding down "T" to enable Target Disk Mode, then plug it into your MacBook Pro when the Start Up assistant asks you and it will copy everything over and put it in it's place - everything will be as you left it on your PowerMac, same desktop, same icons, everything. It's built-in to the Start Up program and is also available from the Utilities folder -> Migration Assistant.

Once you're satisfied, use your PowerMac's restore disks to use Disk Utility and do a 7-pass reformat of your PowerMac's HDD then reinstall from your restore disks.

4. Chinashaw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Chundles & max_altitude thanks for the incredibly rapid response. In a week I will have a bash at what you have suggested. :)