Disk images fail to mount or open

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mattj, Dec 15, 2003.

1. mattj macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After recently loading Panther on both a G3 tower and a G4 laptop, I have discovered an unusual problem mounting disk images of installers and program updates. Not all of the time, but about half of the time.
    Tried using Disk Utility to mount and/or open these images with this result: "initiallizing disk image" then "error-536870208".
    The same disk image will work fine on other Macs, but with no apparent rhyme or reason.
    Any suggestions?

2. jlakis macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I think it comes from updating to panther and then, before trying to mount anything, updating to 10.3.1.
    did you do this>?

3. mattj thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, yes I did.
    But this does not mean that all disk images fail, just some of them. How about a good utility for checking a disk image, because it seems that Disk Utility is just not working well with disk images. The disk images that have worked seem to automount just fine, and work well.
    Thanks

4. jlakis macrumors newbie

I just use norton and disc utility.
    let me know if you find a good one.

5. jeffosx macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and USB drives or FW T disk mode PB wouldnt mount. Rang apple supprt and they suggested in this order;

1. Check date and time are correct.
    2. Move System/Library/Caches to desktop reboot
    If still broken
    3. Move Extension.kextcache to desktop and reboot (that fixed it for me)

HTH