Disk Insertion Error (Mods please do not delete)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BengalDuck, Nov 10, 2006.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I just plugged in my new iPod shuffle that arrived in the mail today. I put the dock in to my computer and it says "Disk Insertion Error. The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer," with options to initialize, ignore, and eject.

When I try and initialize it (opens Disk Utility), I get a "select drive" (from 1g apple ipod, mac hd, or external hd). When I select the new iPod, I can either Verify Disk or Repair Disk.

When I try to verify disk, I get a warning saying "First Aid failed." Disk Utility stopped verifying "disks2si" because the following error was encountered. The underlying task reported failure on exit," with the text in quotes below appearing in the main box.

When I try Repair Disk, I get the same "Disk Utility stopped repairing "disks2si" because the following error was encountered. The underlying task reported failure on exit," with the text in quotes below appearing in the main box.

BTW, when I plug it in the shuffle just flashes the orange light, no matter how long I let it stand. It never charges.

Anyone? I have no clue what to do. I'm guessing this has something to do with my DVD problem, which went unsolved in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=246418

I'd really appreciate some help. I still have my Mac OS X disk, so how would I go about reinstalling just the stuff which is broken? (if that needs to occur).

I have 93.04 GB of stuff on my Mac HD, but only 6 GB left on my external HD... so I can't just back everything up on there (at least I don't think).

Obviously i'm not too fluent with macs and all that stuff, so please help?

17" Powerbook G4 Mac OS X 10.4.8 1.67 GHz PowerPC 512 MB DDR SDRAM

MODS: I posted this in the Mac Help forum in addition to the iPod forum to get more help. I believe the post in this forum was deleted, and for what reason I'm not sure. I'm not post spamming, just asking for help. If for some reason it is a neccessity that only one post can appear on this board, then please delete the iPod/iTunes post. That one still has zero replies.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try opening iTunes and see if it sees it. You might be able to do a "Restore", which will put the current firmware on the shuffle, and initialize its flash drive.

3. boddupops macrumors newbie

a little late, but...

i just had the same problem with my ipod, and i fixed it. i think the problem with your attempt was that you hadn't put the ipod in disk mode when plugged into the computer (reset your ipod by holding down the menu and center button for five seconds and when the apple logo shows up, hold down the center button and the play/pause button.)

it will still show the disk insertion error, but when you repair it, it will work! at least, it did for me :)