Disk Utility and resizing partition

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by bbfc, Aug 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

bbfc

I recently installed Mavericks on top of my ML installation. I didn't back (yes I know!) so I decided to reinstall ML on a separate partition, (Macintosh HD 2) and migrate all my stuff across from Mavericks.

That was easy.

I then deleted the Mavericks partition (which was Macintosh HD). Then I realised I couldn't extend the HD 2 partition upwards, so I was left with this empty space!

After searching around I found out that I could clone my ML image on the second partition using disk utility (using the restore tab) and then once done I assume I can delete the HD2 partition and extend the top one down.

DU is in the process of copying the image over.

Is all what I've said going to work? I don't really want to have to reinstall everything.

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Yep... that will work.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

bbfc

Thanks. Thought it would but wanted to get the opinion of someone who knows more about this sort of stuff than me.

----------

Well it did work, and i'm now using the cloned partition. However, when I try to delete the second partition it tells me it can't unmount it.

Any help?

4. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Just to confirm, you rebooted after the clone and you are positive your are booted to the new partition? Is the new partition selected in System Prefs / Startup Disk?

Can you select the partition in DU, then in the edit menu click unmount?

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

bbfc

I (think) i've sorted it.

What I did was boot for the ML recovery drive i created, launched DU from within there and that allowed me to delete and resize the partition.

It did involve me deleting the Boot Camp partition - but there wasn't anything of value on there.

I launched DU once i had booted back into ML and there is only one partition now, which takes up the entire disk.

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Glad it worked out. :)

7. macrumors newbie

I am looking for disk utilities kind of Partition Magic, Acronics Disk Director on the Windows. I want to resize, convert to ntfs->exFat etc. is it available on the OS X?

8. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

iPartition will do what you want.

9. macrumors newbie

Please help me same situation

Im new here btw. I'm also stuck in this situation. I went on disk utility and this is what i got now. How do I put it back to normal instead of two different HD's. Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 8.02.53 PM.png

10. macrumors newbie

Nevermind

NVM, I got mine to work I cloned mine as it was instructed in this post, than i went back and rebooted the one I cloned. After this i went to finder and renamed my Rebooted HD to "Macintosh HD". Than I opened Disk Utility and fixed it by deleting Macintosh HD 2 and dragged it down

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

bbfc

I miss Mavericks. You certainly notice the refinements they've made as it runs a lot quicker than ML.

I might install it on a separate partition.

12. macrumors newbie

iPartition couldn't resize ntfs :(