Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmike100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I decided to open Disk Utility and run Verify Disk on my main drive just for fun to see if there were any problems. It ran for a while then came up with this message:

---
First Aid Failed
Disk Utility stopped verifying "Hard Drive" because the following error was encountered:
The underlying task reported failure on exit
---

This is after a fresh restart of my Powerbook too.

By the way, if I look at the actual text as it's working, it looks like the red line before it dies is:
"Volume Bit Map needs minor repair".

Any suggestions?

Thanks

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
mcmike100 said:
I decided to open Disk Utility and run Verify Disk on my main drive just for fun to see if there were any problems. It ran for a while then came up with this message:

---
First Aid Failed
Disk Utility stopped verifying "Hard Drive" because the following error was encountered:
The underlying task reported failure on exit
---

This is after a fresh restart of my Powerbook too.

By the way, if I look at the actual text as it's working, it looks like the red line before it dies is:
"Volume Bit Map needs minor repair".

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Start up with your original discs and then you can repair the drive. Just happened to me on my powerbook, too. Do you have a 12"?

mcmike100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Ok, thanks. It looks like, from that link, the errors I'm getting are indeed benign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.