Disk Utility Help and DVD Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i4k20c, Feb 21, 2006.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hey guys,
    2 questions i think..

1. A long time ago when i first got my powerbook, i was looking for a way to protect my files by password, i created a disk image stored in my documents, password protected and made it 5gigs. I realize i no longer nead that much space and want to either a.) delete the disk image, or b.) reduce the size.. how do i go about doing this?

2. I want to back up some data, documents, home movies, spreadsheets, etc. on a DVD-R, but i want it to be password protected, any way to do this? Either i want it so that when you pop in the cd, it asks for a password, or when you open the cd, to access certain folders it asks for a password?

Sorry for the lenghty questions, btw i am on the 1.5ghz Powerbook.

Thank You,
    i4k20c.

2. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Anyone?
    Let me rephrase. I found out after creating a new image just on my hardrive, if i throw it away, it is fine. The 8gigs will free up again.

But what about the DVD-R Question? Can i just create the DVD-R image, the one that is 4.7 gig, and drag the .dmg to the dvd and burn it? Do i have to mount anything, can i even do this? Please...?:confused:

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

yes you can burn a disk image (just a normal disk image, of any size that will fit, not a DVD one specifically) to a data format DVD (just like any other file). If you mount it and burn the mount then i'm pretty sure you're losing whatever protection you put on it.