Disk Utility Help Needed

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Free From PC, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Free From PC macrumors member

Dec 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I had been getting a kernel panic, but only when I had the hard drive set to sleep. Up until today, not putting the hard drive to sleep had stopped the panics. Today I had to restart the computer many times.

I went into Disk Utilities to repair disk, but it will not let me. I can verify and repair permissions, but I can't click on the verify or repair disk. They are faint, not bold like the other options.

Has anyone had this trouble before or know anything about it? Am I basically screwed? I have backed up everything that I can, but I really don't want to have to start from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    You can't repair a disk that contains the running operating system. In order to repair a disk using disk utility, you'll have to boot from your OS installer CD. Just put the disk in the drive, restart your computer and hold down the "C" key. You'll boot from the disk, and it'll ask you if you want to install an OS. Ingore the dialogue box, and select disk utility from the drop down menu. From there you'll be able to repair your hard drive, and when that's done you can quit disk utility and then quit the installer. Then you can boot up again. Best of luck.
  3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    you need to boot from your osx install disk 1 and repair the drive from there. don't use sleep, it causes way too many issues with pretty much every mac. just look through these forums for proof. best thing to do to save wear on your lcd is to use a hot corner screen saver that is not a timed activation, use hot corner. this screen saver will use no extra system power and gives the screen a rest. simply turns it black.

4. Free From PC thread starter macrumors member

Dec 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Thanks. I was able to run the repair. I haven't gotten another error just yet, but my screen is yellow and blue. Have you used Compusa for repairs? Do you know if they are any good. I think I will have to have my computer looked at. I've done all I know to do, and have run out of options.

Thanks again
  5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Hey all.. I am going to go over and help Free on wednesday.. bake some cookies, install some software.. it will be a blast :)

This is my plan of attack.

Backup home folder and documents to external firewire drive
    Run Panther Cache Cleaner & delete all caches (deep cleaning)
    Reboot and repair permissions
    Reboot from the DiskWarrior CD and rebuild the the directories.

Now.. how do I do all this? Any advice?

Is there a way to backup the VPC and all the data on VPC via dragging to a firewire drive.. its a bitch to reinstall all of that...

- Doc
  6. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    BAHHH!!!! compusa == crap
    btw, if you're talking about VPC the app, VirtualPC, there should be a harddrive document somewhere in ~ (probably ~/Documents/Virtual PC List).
    Don't forget to do some other stuff like prebinding and cron scripts too.
    good luck
  7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    find the partition that VPC makes and you should be set on that... even though i don't condone the use of VPC

use carbon copy cloner to copy anything from one drive to another... i love that program... it will copy EVERYTHING and keep permissions...

honestly... i would recommend backing up the home folder, apps, and library to the external drive and then installing the OS fresh and then start copying things back to the new install one by one (or so), only copying what you know is needed. this helps clean up the library considerably.
  8. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    VPC does not create a partition on your hard disk. It creates a disk image file, or multiple such image files if you like. Each disk image serves as a hard drive for VPC. If you have image files from other installations of VPC, then you can use those. You may designate a folder to be shared between you Mac environment and VPC. It gets a drive letter and becomes a VPC virtual drive. To your Mac, its just a folder.
  9. Free From PC thread starter macrumors member

Dec 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    New Hard Drive Time

Well D0ct0rteeth helped me wipe everything clean and start fresh and then less than 24 hours later I got another Panic. So I guess I am off to buy a new hard drive and need some advice. I don't know what exactly to look for. I have a 15" iMac. Any advice would be great.