Disk utility in os x ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farqueue, Oct 5, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hey guys, what is the diff between performing disk repairs via diskk utility when booted up to os x vs when u put tiger CD and do a fresh boot?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The repairs are similiar, but more limited when you are working on the boot disk, and more dangerous too. Basic things like permission repairs and such are ok, but if you need to repair directory structures or B-Tree headers for example, it is MUCH safer to do them while booted from another HD or an OS X CD. DiskWarrior, the #1 app for these types of repairs, will NOT allow them to be done on the boot disk at all.......

FYI, there have been recent mentions that Apple has been (slowly) incorporating/adding some DW-like functions into DU, and that they may come full circle in the Leopard version.......

Some basic file system repairs can also be done while booted into safe mode too (hold down cmd + S keys during the boot process)

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I used Disk Utility this week to erase my hard drive. Did an 8-pass overwrite. It took 51 hours to complete. :eek:

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would consider that extreme overkill. Unless you work for the CIA and were making sure some Top Secret stuff was securely erased!

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I was trying to get rid of a third party application called "Safari Speed-Up." Well the "overkill" did the trick quite nicely. :)

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The difference is that Disk Utility won't let you repair the boot volume, so you have to do it from the OS X install disc (or another bootable drive with DU on it).