Disk Utility - Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benthad, Nov 2, 2005.

1. benthad macrumors newbie

benthad

Anybody seen this before. I've tried repairing permissions and then repairing disk but get this message.

Permissions.png

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Restart. Try again. If that fails, grab the install disks and verify S.M.A.R.T status.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, it's:
    1) restart
    2) try Repair Permissions
    And if the above fails, try:
    3) boot off install disk and run disk utility to "Repair Disk"
    4) boot system from hard drive
    5) Repair Permissions

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i was going to say boot in single user mode and do a fsck, but your way is easier.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have never seen that before but it doesnt sound too good! hope your hard drive isnt about to go ping

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had the same and repairing the disk using the OSX CD fixed it with no problems since. Hopefully you'll fix it just as easily. :)

7. benthad thread starter macrumors newbie

benthad

Thanks, That sorted it.

Thanks all, good work :)

Picture 1.png

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Thanks to all who posted.
    benthad pointed me to this thread, and i followed the steps and it worked for me in regards to repairing my disk, however when i repair permissions i have quite a long list :(

btw, i ran applejack before i found this thread and it did not repair the disk. doesnt applejack just run fsck, which is basically what the osx cd does?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The long list of repaired permissions is a direct result of 10.4.3. Don't worry about it for now. :)

10. Loke macrumors member

If you are able to, never use the disk utility from a Tiger DVD <10.4.3. The Disk Utility tool was updated in 10.4.3, and when booting of the DVD you will use the old version.

Instead, boot in safe mode: cmd+s and run fsck, if possible. Besides, do not trust the result you are getting from live disk verify. Early reports indicate that they can be giving false results...

11. Loke macrumors member

Disk utility has the ability to "freeze" the system when performing live verify disk. fsck will not, hence can report false errors on the filesystem.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

True, but only for the disk permissions. You can repair the actual disk (as well as any app possibly can) using the disk. :)

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Good points by Loke, but since there are no 10.4.3 DVD's (well mine is 10.4.0) I really didn't have a choice! It does seem like the verify disk running from the HD is reporting some invalid errors. After running Disk Utility from the CD all of my problems were "repaired" but, after rebooting, i checked Disk Utility again, and it says that things were not repaired. Well, my system is running fine, just remind me to shoot myself if i ever decide to become an early adopter of an os update in the future!:p

14. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I have been using DiskWarrior since Norton's stopped supporting the Mac. And I find that it works more thoroughly than Disk Utility. I do use Disk Utility for repairing permissions though.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For the paranoid out there I ran the Panther disk's version of Disk Utility to repair permissions on a 10.4.3 machine (by mistake) and it has been fine for the past few days. I repaired them again from within 10.4.3 pretty much straight afterwards FWIW.

16. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Ok I thought I was in trouble. I repaired permissions after installing 10.4.3 and got worried when i saw that long list.