disk utility quits... among other problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by comictimes, Jan 11, 2006.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

So I don't know if these are all related or are separate problems, but I discovered them all together so I'll post them together.

First I was trying to install Halo, and when it got to the part where it tries to do "installation clean-up" (Halo is the only game or application I know that does this, by the way), it had an error. I'm fairly sure it was because of this, but even when I tried deleting and installing multiple times, the game wouldn't start. That was the first error.

To see if it was something in my computer I tried repairing the permissions, but whenever I try this, it gets about 1/4 of the way through and says "you must quit Disk Utility because it has lost connection with disk management Utility", and makes me quit. I tried restarting my computer twice, but this still happens.

shortly after this I tried opening Limewire, and it just bounces a few times in the dock before disappearing again. I haven't come upon another application that does this though, so I think this part is unrelated.

The most worrying part of all of this is the fact that I can't repair permissions, so if anyone has suggestions on that, I'd love them.
    Advice for the other things would be great too of course, but the permissions part is most important.

2. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

i would say reboot to the macosx disk and run a disk check, it could be a faulty hdd, becuase ive seen major coincednces

3. comictimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

comictimes

How do I do a disk check? The only way I know of to find problems in my hard drive is repairing permissions...

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

a disk check i where the permission check is but on the rigth hand side, also you could try a full hardware test

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

It's a bug. I have 10.3.9 and the same thing happened. Re-Installing 10.3.9 combined updater solved the problem. Run fsck before you run the installer again and make sure the file system is journaled.:cool: