Disk Utility reports incorrect HDD size...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by FoxyKaye, Dec 6, 2004.

1. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hi all,

This just cropped up, or perhaps I haven't noticed it earlier. Basically, Disk Utility is reporting the incorrect HDD size for my boot drive. Instead of being an 80GB drive, it is reporting it as a 100GB drive (which is the slave drive on the same IDE chain). So, according to Disk Utility I have two 100GB drives. Interestingly enough, all of the partition information on my 80GB looks fine, and I've done the usual maintenance to try and fix it: cold reboot, zap PRAM, repair permissions, etc... The only thing I haven't done yet is boot from the Panther install CD and repair disk/repair permissions, which I'll do tonight.

Anyone else have this problem? It doesn't seem to be affecting system performance in any way. Any way to fix it?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you reformat that 80GB drive between now and when you bought it? Your Mac came from the era when hard drive manufacturers sometimes under-represented the capacity of their drives because they were out of stock of the smaller models - so they simply formatted a 100 GB drive as an 80 GB drive and marketed it that way. A reformat will of course expose the full 100 GB, hence the mystery. I'm not saying that this is definitely the cause - it's just a possibility. One way to check is to boot from the Panther CD, open Disk Utility, go to the Partition tab for the hard disk, and see what size it reports. If you don't see Partition, you selected the wrong thing.