Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
have downloaded my copy of Mountain Lion DP4 (yes i am part of the apple seed program). trying to burn the InstallESD.dmg to a USB stick to do a clean install.

i'm using the same instructions i used for Lion - Disk Utility > create 1 partition with GUID > then restore the DMG to the USB stick.

i keep getting the following error. any ideas why? (it's a 16GB USB stick).

it fails at around 90%-ish of the way thru restoring.

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-17%20at%2020.20.11.png

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Mount the .dmg file first by double-clicking it, then drag the volume to the Source portion of that window, instead of the .dmg file itself.

jW

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Mount the .dmg file first by double-clicking it, then drag the volume to the Source portion of that window, instead of the .dmg file itself.

jW

hmmm... i've not done that with any other times i've used this process.
as i said, it starts (saying it will take 30 minutes or so to complete), and fails with about 6 minutes left to go.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
as i said, it starts (saying it will take 30 minutes or so to complete), and fails with about 6 minutes left to go.

It may not be necessary, but mounting the disk image will also force Disk Utility to verify it, in case it's corrupted. Did you try doing it that way?

jW

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It may not be necessary, but mounting the disk image will also force Disk Utility to verify it, in case it's corrupted. Did you try doing it that way?

jW

it verifies fine as i can mount it and use it with no problems.
it's only the restore process that fails.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
have downloaded my copy of Mountain Lion DP4 (yes i am part of the apple seed program). trying to burn the InstallESD.dmg to a USB stick to do a clean install.

i'm using the same instructions i used for Lion - Disk Utility > create 1 partition with GUID > then restore the DMG to the USB stick.

I am getting this same error. The USB stick and the ML image both verify fine. I'm stumped.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010

jW

I am also getting this error, will try this solution and report back.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007

jW

I had the same error and this fixed it, thanks!

Matt

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010

I just ignored that. Try to boot from it. It should still work. I installed mine with no problems anyway.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009

jW

Thanks for these instructions. I was getting so frustrated, but by mounting the image and restoring that to a partition on my external HDD, I now have a bootable version of Mountain Lion. Thanks.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Ignore the Restore Failure Error Message

Just ignore the error message if you do the manual method. You will see that everything is fine on the USB drive.

nikixxxx

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
try ownership status on usb stick...should work

:cool:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have the same problem but I cannot make the above solution work for me(mavericks).

DamianPerera

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Possible Fix

Unmount the partition of the USB stick first . Also make sure that the stick is formatted to 1 partition.

Once unmounted, either use Disk Utility to restore the image or use Terminal and enter the following command;

sudo dd if=/path/to/target.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m

* Drag and drop the image file to the Terminal after 'sudo dd if=' in order to automatically get the file path.
* replace 'N' with the number assigned to your USB stick - can be found using Info in Disk Utility or by entering 'diskutil list' in the Terminal
* If you get an error, replace bs=1m with bs=1M

Another reason why you get the error might be because the .dmg image file was saved as either 'compressed' or 'read only'. In this instance you need to mount the .dmg image in Disk Utility, select 'Convert' and save the file as a read/write image. Afterwards highlight the new image file in Disk Utility, click on 'Images' and select 'Scan Image for Restore' - then try the normal recover procedure using Disk Utility.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yup

jW

Old thread I know, but I had this problem tonight and fixed it via the advice above.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.