disk utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dolph3545, Oct 4, 2006.

1. dolph3545 macrumors newbie

every time I stick a blank cd in to burn pictures from folders I get the program disk utility.
    It then asks to pick pictures or folders or whatever to burn, but whatever I do to drag it into the window or go up top and try to select it,it wont let me get it into the window to burn.I do highlight what folder I want but IT just wont go into the box. need help

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm sorry I couldn't figure out what you are trying to say.

Okay, what are you dragging and where do you want it to go? Are you dragging a folder into the blank CD?

Where do you have your pictures saved?

Bless

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Disk Utility cannot burn folders. It can only burn images (not pictures). In this context images are files containing a representation of the entire structure to be burnt to the disk, like an iso file.

You want to open System Preferences and tell the Mac to either open blank CDs/DVDs in the Finder or to ask you what to do when you insert them.

4. deebster macrumors 6502

You'll find the CDs & DVDs panel in System Preferences and in it is an option to choose what your Mac does when a blank is put in.

You might want to always have Finder open but if you plan on using other apps to burn discs (such as the iLife apps or even Disk Utility) then it might be worth selecting 'Ask what to do'. You'll then get the Finder open a dialogue box when you insert a disc, from where you can choose to tell Finder to ignore it if you are using another app.

Hope that makes sense.

5. dolph3545 thread starter macrumors newbie

all I want to do is burn folders of pictures on cd's. I just dont know what program to use, it just usually opens disk utility. I have a new Imac.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you even read the above. Go to System Preferences. Click on CDs and DVDs. Tell it to use the Finder when blank CDs are insterted.

Use the finder to burn the CD.

7. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

8. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Step 1: On the desktop, right click or control-click and select "new burn folder."

Step 2: Copy the files you want to burn into the burn folder. Not click and drag, but actually copy and paste.

Step 3: When you have all the files ready to be burn, push the "burn" button in the top right corner of the window.

Simple as that.

9. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

You can actually just drag a file on to the CD's likeness on the desktop and it will create a burn folder :) Really easy!

10. dazboardrider macrumors member

Yup, thats what I do!