Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Dec 28, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am going to make the plunge and buy one of these expensive software titles... i feel i need a defrag for what I do... I work with big files constantly moving coping deleting etc... and have 16GB of music that I play and edit.. I want to defrag... its just my peice of mind

What do you suggest... I want the best..

Disk Warrior...

or

Tech Tool Pro 4?

Thanks

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Diskwarrior does not defrag so that probably narrows down your choice if that is your main concern. I would say however, that if I needed only one of those utilities around I would choose Diskwarrior.

There is also a new util called iDefrag if you are really set on buying a defrag program....oh yeah!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dual 2.5s will not boot from the Tech Tool Pro 4 CD.

My guess is that the OS is not 10.3.4 (or 10.3.5?) and that the dual 2.5s don't like anything lower. They will also not boot from the boxed Panther CDs (10.3.0) we purchased for other machines...

Other Macs may also be fussy: best to double-check this if you have a newish machine.

4. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Well... is it worth 30$ to buy iDefrag instead of 100$ for the other titles?

5. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

everything for the mac always says this

"To defragment your boot volume, you will need to boot from a separate volume"

This is the one thing that I like windows for....

Can anyone tell me... how do I defrag my Hard Drive? I have an iBook... One hdd... i cant put the defragger on another HDD... I dont have one!

6. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

If you have journaling turned on, you don't really need to defrag.

And Stay away from Techtool Pro 4. Too many horror stories and 2 very bad experience on my part.

Disk warrior is the best for data recovery.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that I've de-fragged a Windows machine and it kept re-starting the de-frag process every minute because the machine was busy, it's a good thing you can't do that on a Macintosh.

You boot from a CD-ROM to de-frag the hard drive, which seems a lot simpler than it is from Windows. Just don't re-start the computer while you're de-fragging. Wait for it to finish.

Anyway, I use Tech Tool Pro 4 with good results but if you want disk/data recovery, you should have both TTP4 and DiskWarrior. TTP4 works okay but it's not the ultimate for recovery.

8. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

See this is my first mac, so I am still thinking in the mindset of windows...

all I want to do (regardless if I "need" to or not) Is Defrag my Hard Drive....

I dont know anything about "recovery" or anything like that...

If I go out, and purchase Tech Tool Pro 4 on CD.... can I use that to Defrag my iBook??? Thats all I am asking

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, you can.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I use both TTP and DW.

When you buy Apple Care you get a TTP CD, so if it is that bad why is Apple promoting it. :confused:

I use TTP more than I use DW, however DW has its place as well when everything seems lost. :)

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Yes, you do get TT but not the "Pro" version with AppleCare. I also love how I can't boot from the version they shipped with my PB 17" 1.33 -the "genius" at the Apple Store said that's a common problem - some rousing endorsement from Apple.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, the old Deluxe version included with AppleCare doesn't work on Mac OS 9-less machines. They need to wake up a bit. Of course, AppleCare still doesn't work for Floriduh consumers, either.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may want to defrag, but you should not do it. The UNIX utilities that are part of Darwin provide most of the disk maintenance that you need. DiskWarrior may allow you to recover data files in the unlikely event of a catatrophic disk failure. I recommend it, but as Duff-Man said, DW does not defrag hard disks.

14. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

I use TechTool 4 pretty regularly. I love the program - haven't had the problems others have mentioned. The only caveat to defragging is that you have to disable journaling on the volume you want to defrag, and boot from the TechTool disk, another hard drive, or in target disk mode if you have a Mac desktop around with Firewire (like me). Disabling and re-enabling journaling can be done all from within the TechTool application, however.

I heard when X was originally released that Unix took care of defragging if you left your machine on all the time - like in the middle of the night on Tuesdays... Can anyone with more knowledge shed some light on this subject? Thanks in advance...

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....they will if you have the current cd....my Dual 2.5 boots just fine from the TTP4.x CD I got from Micromat in September....oh yeah!

16. macnulty macrumors 6502

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

UNIX cleans out old work files on a regular basis (3:14 a.m. daily for me) but does not defrag anything. On Mac OS X Panther journaled volumes, fragmented files of 20 MB or smaller will be moved to contiguous space on being opened, if the space is available.

Thankfully, the kinds of disk formats Mac OS X supports natively (HFS+ and UNIX File System) both are less affected by fragmentation. I find it useful to de-fragment after using TTP4 to check the volume, but it's certainly not as necessary as it is on FAT32 or FAT16 volumes.

18. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I appricate all of the responses and optinions. I am a mac noobie, and want to learn. There is a vast difference between the PC world and Mac world, I just needed to base questions to ask to start my transition. :)

Thanks

19. mcarvin macrumors regular

I think I read it here, and I share this with all of my Mac noob friends: "If you're trying too hard do something, you're probably doing it wrong." Apple really goes out of their way to just make things easy.