DiskWarrior Equivalent?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JBot, Dec 24, 2006.

1. JBot macrumors 6502

I have recently booted up from my startup disk and after running the disk utility, i get the error message reading
    Invalid sibling link.
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

After looking into it, it seems as though i need a program that could restore data from a damanged volume. However, the only program i found, being DiskWarrior, has a price tag of 80$. I personally dont have that much coin to throw out right now, so i am curious as to if anyone has found a free alternative?
    Thank you very much. Merry Christmas.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Apple Care comes with TechTool Deluxe.

You can also purchase TechTool Pro (which does more than TechTool Deluxe).

Another possibility if you have a PC that you can put your HD in, is Spin Rite by Gibson Research.

Unfortunately, none of these options are cheap.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Your best free option...... initialize the drive. Otherwise, DW can repair the B-tree/create a new directory because it can recognize forward/backward links [and any problems they may have] separately rather than just recognizing them [together] as "sibling links" as with DiskUtility.

So if you have too much data and no way to realistically back them up then ask for DW or an external drive for X-mas.

They don't tell everyone to backup regularly for nothin'.

4. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there an app that i could boot up off cd that will allow me to simply copy all my data from the harddrive onto an external one? Thus allowing me to than go back into disk util and erasing everything, reinstalling everything, and than move everything from my external drive back onto my laptop?

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you have an external drive, you could install the system and utilities on that drive and boot from it.

Of course you would still need to purchase DW or TT. Who knows, Disk Utility might work better from an external drive.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

*I skip a bit around so read this all first before you try it.*

It might sound as though I'm making this all up as I go along [I kind of did in the sense that I'm pulling this from memory] .... but that's because I've never physically done this myself so I can't guarantee anything. The tech at the Apple store I work at has told me about this for general backup purposes. If something goes wrong don't blame me, I'm just trying to help. Also note that If I had nothing else, I would definitely try this.

Free or paid, I'm not too sure what there is for OS X. That was one of my BIGGEST pet peeves from switching from 9 to X was the fact that you couldn't simply access the drive as normal in order to do such things.

Hmmmm, so you have an external drive already, eh? Well, in 10.4 [Tiger] there is probably something you can do for this, though I'm not sure if all the files will be accessible [because of the sibling link error].....

To check this out, plug in your external drive and boot up to your system cd.

While in DiskUtility, when you select a volume there are about five options to choose from. Amongst "First Aid", "Erase", and "Partition" there is a "Restore" option.

While deceptively named it does allow you to create an exact [and from what I hear, bootable] backup of a volume; however; I'm suspecting that you would need an external drive with enough free space to copy the entire contents of the harddrive as you cannot simply pick and choose files.

If that's the case, what you would do is drag, from the left side of DU, your volume ["Macintosh HD" by default] into the "Source" section of the window.

Then [hopefully the external drive should be listed on the left of DU as well], you drag the external drive icon from the left into the "Destination" section.

Upon clicking "Restore" it will copy all of the contents from the source into the destination. Again, your internal drive as the source of the "restore" and your external being the destination of the backup.

Oh, and be warned that if there are any duplicate files on the destination it may replace them [like if you have a /Library or /Applications folder in the root directory of your external exactly as they are on your internal drive]. Otherwise any regular file that is on the destination won't be replaced/deleted unless you select the "Erase Destination" check box.

Now, if that all works as it should [try to view the files on the external before initializing the drive, just in case] I wouldn't recommend fully restoring the disk [the opposite way we just backed it up], but rather dragging and dropping only necessary files back to your internal drive after reinstalling the system. Pictures/movies/music/documents and such, otherwise *I have no idea if the same directory issues will transfer back*

Whew. I hope you try this as I would like to know how it works. :p

Good luck! :D

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Or you could do that.......... Damn you sushi ;)

I usually shoot from the hip..... don't take enough time to aim.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Before you get too ahead of yourself, you don't actually mention trying to get Disk Utility to repair the volume (you only mention verification). Are you aware that Disk Utility can repair some issues when you boot from the OS X CD?

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Doh! Missed that one. Very good point!

10. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

Had the same prob. Booted from Disk Utility via OS X DVD. Simple fix, one that Apple Tech. did not even tell me about when I called them.

11. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I assumed too much I suppose. Thought the OP had already tried that one =P

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have TechTool Delux which came with Applecare for my MBP. Have you tried its "e-Drive" option? E-drive is the small partition which stores the important system file without doing the re-format of the hard drive for a quick recovery on the go.

13. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

BTW..... if you copy an OS with bad directories/symlinks/b-trees etc to another drive, the errors WILL go with it :D

You need to fix it as is. Let DU try from the OS X CD/DVD, or pony up the moolah for DW or TTP..........