diskwarrior - what a pleasure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberone, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

just want to share some enthusiasm about diskwarrior.

formerly, with windows, i couldnt live without norton utilities.

as there are no more norton utilities for macs, well, i tried diskwarrior.

as a kind of insurance policy. nothing more important than a smoothly running OS.

even though mac OS has no registry and all of that: diskwarrior in a first run found quite some open holes in my directory.

and provides an excellent defragmentation.

well, and did I mention that i like diskwarrior?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm glad you are happy, but I'll give you a negative story about it. The defrag utility increased my boot time. I did it again, to see if it would fix it and it almost doubled my boot time. I really contemplated reinstalling after using that hideous app.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Would you consider yourself a regular user or a power user or something quite different? I'd argue that DiskWarrior is unnecessary for the average Mac user. :)

4. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

dont know. am using the computer 12 hrs a day, for word processing and photo editing mainly.

gives me peace of mind to know that the intestines of the machine are working properly.

5. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

@ startup: how many times does that wheel turn before the mac ox screen shows up?

just to get an idea about your start up time.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Diskwarrior is an app that you don't really need till you really need if you see what I mean.

It's saved my arse on one occasion when my PowerBook dumped most of it's directories and DW rebuilt them, and I do run it over the machine once a month now, no signs of increased booting times.

A good app I think.

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I've heard enough disk warrior horror stories to not use it unless I absolutely need it as WinterMute put it.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I couldn't tell you. I did use a stop watch to measure the effects on my computer. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it definately almost doubled my boot time.

I guess I can believe that. Sort of like perscription drugs. They can really help the people who need it, but they can really screw up those who don't.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

using Disk Warrior 3.03 on Tiger 10.4.3

I am trying to figure out how to use Disk Warrior CD to run a diagnostic/directory rebuildling on my Macs running Tiger 10.4.3. I have the original DW 3.0 CD and I burned a updated CD with Alsoft's update for DW 3.03. So, I have DW 3.03 CD.

When I put this CD in the optical drive of Mac and reboot it with pressing C, I get the kernel panic and Mac asks me to reboot again by pressing the power button.

Can some give me some advice on how to use DW?

I have an external Lacie HD and I copied DW 3.03 to that drive. But, when I double clicked on DW icon on the external HD, I get an error message(something about invalid path).