Disney 50-year anniversary - July 17, 2005

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, May 4, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Disneyland opened July 17, 1955, and I'm having fun watching the hoopla this year for the golden anniversary celebration at Disney's various amusement parks. They say it will be an 18-month anniversary, meaning lots of ads and publicity, and maybe some new rides, shows, parades, etc. too.

At the original park, Disneyland, they are opening the newest ride, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, this week. You shoot blasters at bad guys as you ride, so they claim "you affect the outcome" of the ride, instead of just sitting. It's two people to a car, but you will be teamed with two other Disneyland guests who aren't on the ride (I think they are elsewhere in the park) but are on your team. When you get off, you can e-mail your score to yourself (and probably end up on their e-mailing list). If you score 100,000, you are a "Galactic Hero" - sounds impressive! :)

OK, it may not be the coolest thing since iPods, but kids of the appropriate age will like it and at least Disney is trying to move forward a little, with less passive rides. After 500 million visitors (I suspect that includes repeat visits), they must have learned a bit about what kids (and some of us grown-up kids) like.

Who lives near a Disney park? What are they doing at the other parks to celebrate?

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I dont live near Disneyland, but I am taking the family out there in two weeks. We usually go at least once a year, sometimes twice. I absolutely love that park. Its as if you can still feel Walt's spirit there (spirit as in his dream and ideas, not spirit as in creepy ghosts).

I'm expecting it to be totally packed, but knowing that going in I'll be prepared to be more patient. If I remember, I'll report back on the Buzz ride. :)

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I will be there this summer, first week in August. I had no idea there'd be this huge celebration, so it should be fun. My kids are getting a bit old for Disney (12 and 13), but their cousins will be there too (4, 6, and 9), so they'll have a great time showing the cousins the ropes.

Edit: We've done the Buzz lightyear ride at Disneyworld. It really is a blast -- an actual, interactive ride that everyone in the family LOVED. Looking forward to it at Disneyland!

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now if they would open up "WestWorld" without all them nasty robots, just the good ones! :)

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It feels like they've had Space Mountain at Disneyland closed forever for renovations. It will finally reopen July 15, two days before the official birthday day.

Disneyland claims that every ride has been updated, but I suspect that for some of them it means a fresh coat of paint.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have only been to Disney World in Florida once. It would be nice to visit during the 50th Anniversary year. Oh the advantages of having Disneyland almost in your back yard. ;)

I will admit that I would much rather have a new Mac.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea I would like to go but not sure if I'll be able to make it :(

Funny how July 17 is the anniversary day for Disneyland, and in Panther (Not sure about Tiger) the default date before you open iCal is also July 17 :D

Maybe if some people went to Disneyland the same time, they could have a MacRumors meeting spot ;)

8. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm. Well I'll be there on May 31st...

9. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

...by myself apparently.

Bueller. Bueller. Anyone.

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm very sorry. I would have liked to meet you there for something daring, like riding the Dumbo Flying Elephants, but I'm not going to be there until sometime in June. Of course, if you jump off the It's a Small World boat and hide behind some giant dolls for the night, you'll be there in June too!

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More about the 50th anniversary:

* About 35,000 people showed up at Disneyland for the first public day of the 50-year celebration last week. Some slept in the parking lot to be near the front of the crowd. In three hours, Disneyland had exceeded the attendance they had on opening day in 1955.

* Hosts were Art Linkletter and Julie Andrews. Linkletter hosted the day Disneyland first opened too! This time, Christina Aguilera (former Mouseketeer) was there as a host too.

* Space Mountain has been closed for two years. For an anxious kid waited for it to reopen, that's practically geologic time.

* The Jungle Cruise ride has new effects and new vegetation. I hope they have a new stock of really corny jokes too.

* Total revenue at all of Disney's theme parks: $7.75 billion per year.

* Mickey Mouse hats with gold ears are not made from real gold.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

The last time I was on it they no longer had the soundtrack with it :mad: Hope they improved it.

I wonder what type of effects? When I think of affects at Disneyland, I imagine lasers, special effects lighting, etc. And gotta love those jokes...."the backside of water" :rolleyes: :p

Oh man, now I want to be there. It would be cool if they had an Apple Store in Disneyland....maybe in Tomorrowland :cool:

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife occasionally watches "Live with Regis and Kelly." They are doing there show from Disneyland this week to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Have you attended any of the festivities so far Doctor Q?

14. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Not yet, but through connections I've gotten free tickets to go to Disneyland once, possibly twice this summer. Let's see, along with all my free Pepsi iTunes, I think I've saved enough to buy the Walt Disney Company! On the other hand, they probably raised the parking price again, and I might need souvenirs, so I might have to settle for buying a smaller company, like Apple Computer, with the money I save.

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I wish

I applied and was accepted to the Disney College Program for the Fall Quarter of this year but I had to turn it down due to classes (Senior Year Graphic Design classes) and the Graphic Design on-campus job that I also applied for. I really would like to have the on-campus job.

Basically, with the Disney College Program I could work at Disney World and earn (if I want to) credit by taking a few classes as well as working 40+ hours a week being a fast-food team member (that was the job I was picked for :D )

I would have liked to have gone anyways but with my stepmother going through cancer treatments and my father originally had the idea that we would have gone to Palenque. Oh well, we still are planing on going somewhere this September, the current thought is San Francisco.

Have fun to all who will be able to see and experience the 50th anniversary celebrations at the theme parks.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

joepunk, your family and mother will be in my thoughts and prayers.

May you all have a great summer regardless of where you go!