Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Why cant they just throw up the pre order page already.
lhjhbB9.gif
Still thinking about which model to get. Don't think it's portable enough to warrant a purchase for the LTE version.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I was planning on getting one until several minutes later when they revealed 3D Touch for the iPhone 6s. Once you've used 3D Touch, it's hard to go back to not having it. Releasing a brand new flagship product without the latest tech is a big mistake.

Basically, you already now that the device isn’t the best they could come up with and yet you’re paying the full price for it.

Reactions: WhySoSerious

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I was planning on getting one until several minutes later when they revealed 3D Touch for the iPhone 6s. Once you've used 3D Touch, it's hard to go back to not having it. Releasing a brand new flagship product without the latest tech is a big mistake.
They did the same thing with retina screen and Touch ID
IPHONE comes first

Reactions: mw360

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
iPad Air 1 didn't have Touch ID. Was that a big mistake?

Not necessarily. I have an iPad Air 1 and it's not something I notice often. While it has other functions, Touch ID is critical to the use of ApplePay, not something you'll terribly miss on an iPad. 3D Touch on the other hand is becoming central to how pros use iOS. If you've become accustomed to quickly getting around iOS using 3D Touch, you're going to definitely miss it at every turn on an iPad Pro. It's muscle memory that's going to get blocked every time you use an iPad Pro.

Reactions: V.K.

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I would like to see someday the iPad Pro to act like the Wacom Cintiq. The problem will be Adobe support such a thing. Just imagine open and Photoshop image and paint, retouch, etc using the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and then finish the job on the Mac. That would be awesome.

I see the iPad Pro as a companion to the Mac rather than a replacement. You can pretty much do that with Astropad. The iPad Pro is definitely replacing my Cintiq.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What does that have to do with this?
The point is Apple doesn't always introduce technology across all their products at the same time. We don't know why 3D Touch wasn't implemented on the iPad Pro. Was there a technical reason? Supply chain issues with the Taptic Engine or display? Did Apple decide they want to 3D Touch to be an iPhone exclusive for one year? No one knows.

Reactions: Cisco_Kid

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Still thinking about which model to get. Don't think it's portable enough to warrant a purchase for the LTE version.
I've pretty much decided on getting the 128 wifi with the pencil. I don't have a need lte, I could always tether it to my phone if I absolutely need the Internet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not necessarily. I have an iPad Air 1 and it's not something I notice often. While it has other functions, Touch ID is critical to the use of ApplePay, not something you'll terribly miss on an iPad. 3D Touch on the other hand is becoming central to how pros use iOS. If you've become accustomed to quickly getting around iOS using 3D Touch, you're going to definitely miss it at every turn on an iPad Pro. It's muscle memory that's going to get blocked every time you use an iPad Pro.
I have no idea why it was left off the iPad Pro. I just used Touch ID as an example because the iPad was a year behind the iPhone on that technology. This year the iPhone has 3D Touch but iPad Pro gets Apple Pencil. From what I've read the Pencil is not like a typical capacitive stylus and it only works with the iPad Pro. We don't know if these are technical or marketing decisions.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Personally, I'd way rather the Surface Pro 4.

For all this money, I'll take the far greater flexibility.
I watched the keynote, when the presenter scribbled on OneNote there was observable latency for the "outflow" of ink. Also he failed to demonstrate activation of Cortana by the Pen. Hopefully iPad Pro will do it better - so far every review said it has near zero latency.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Funny that Microsoft took a jab at the pencil for not having an "Eraser"... And in this video the artist tries to turn it over to realize there's no eraser... But I don't see how flipping the device over in your hand and then flipping it back over is much more convenient than just pressing an erase button on the screen... Also there's no way they're going to double the precision and sensors in the 1/2 cm thick blunt end anyway so why get a worse tool for erasing than you have for drawing?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Funny that Microsoft took a jab at the pencil for not having an "Eraser"... And in this video the artist tries to turn it over to realize there's no eraser... But I don't see how flipping the device over in your hand and then flipping it back over is much more convenient than just pressing an erase button on the screen... Also there's no way they're going to double the precision and sensors in the 1/2 cm thick blunt end anyway so why get a worse tool for erasing than you have for drawing?

If Apple Pencil had this feature people here would have blasted it for being a gimmick :p

Reactions: appledefenceforce

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I didn't realise the iPad Pro didn't have 3D touch. You're right, that's not such a bright idea when you've just announced it on a newly released iPhone :confused:
Why? iPad Air didn't have Touch ID when iPhone 5s had it. Apple does not give you all the latest features on the hardware a at the same time. That's against the Apple logic of bringing in profits!

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I can't find a video anywhere that showcases the iPad Pro's low latency. How is it that not one reviewer cares about this?

Latency alone will make or break the iPad Pro. It's clear that none of the reviewers have drawing experience.

Tech journos suck at stylus impressions. Even after today's MS announcement, all the major press hands-ons just have the author scribbling randomly on the screen.

"OK, guess it works!" is about the extent of their commentary, it seems. Frustrating to say the least. I wanted to know if pen jitter has been resolved, is it that hard to plan a brief test of such a thing???

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
No matter what stuff you give this people they'll create something great. The best part is that they got paid while playing around with that new toy. If they're lucky they might bring it home with them.

Reactions: LordVic

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I watched the keynote, when the presenter scribbled on OneNote there was observable latency for the "outflow" of ink. Also he failed to demonstrate activation of Cortana by the Pen. Hopefully iPad Pro will do it better - so far every review said it has near zero latency.

If you watch the video within the conference where the person is writing sheet music, it looks pretty responsive.

There's still much to learn about these devices, but from what we already know, there is a metric ton more versatility in the Surface Pro 4 than the iPad Pro. They're not exactly inexpensive, either.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If you watch the video within the conference where the person is writing sheet music, it looks pretty responsive.

There's still much to learn about these devices, but from what we already know, there is a metric ton more versatility in the Surface Pro 4 than the iPad Pro. They're not exactly inexpensive, either.

I'm still puzzled by the positioning of the iPad Pro. I wish there will be some innovation in the user interface for iOS for iPad.

Reactions: Sandstorm and Altis

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Yup, this asynchronous feature-dragging is getting really old indeed.

Tout "Continuity" and improvements on vertical integration on one hand, but don't fix issues with other features of integration and seamless experience on the other hand and top it off with having people wait at least one year to get a favorite new feature on the other devices as well, or even more between iOS and OS X in some cases.

*yawn*

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: Sandstorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.