Disney being sued for copyright violation

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Neserk, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Excellent! Best of luck to them - they don't even seem to be asking for all that much. I think Disney could settle for an amount equal to the profit they've made on DVD's I've purchased for my daughter.

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

5. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wait, did Disney pay the company that bought the rights?

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    disney should settle, hey may have a case to win, but in order to prevent bad press wich is more damaging they should settle out of court

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Man why does everyone hate Disney so much. Come to think of it, it seems like people in America just like hating EVERYTHING now a days.

Personally I love Disney. Whenever I go to Disneyland its a great experience, the rides are well done (yes I know they aren't the biggest roller coasters in the world but nobody said they were). The stores are great (yes a little pricey, oh well), everything is very clean, the staff is always polite.

Heck I bought a cool key-chain when I was there last summer, but about 6 months latter a pin on it broke off. I was bummed so I was looking online to see about ordering a replacement and I saw a feedback link. It's just a keychain, but oh well, i'll give it a shot. I described the keychain and how it had broken and asked if I could get it fixed by a jewler or something. Instead they sent me a new one at no cost.

I'm not saying its a perfect company but man, you people really enjoy hating things this much?

9. panphage macrumors 6502

People are excited because this is an example of poetic justice. Disney, a company that made billions hijacking and mis-telling popular public domain stories, is also one of the major drivers of recent intrusive extensions to copyright law. Disney has therefore earned our hatred by abusing a corrupt political system to lock away works that should have passed into public domain long ago. Compare to RIAA and Microsoft for various asinine interpretations of "intellectual property".

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Why? Why should they be in the public domain? I have never understood that argument. Disney took the time to craft these great characters, how does letting Mickey Mouse become public domain benefit everyone?

Also, why are you so bitter that Disney took a great story and told it well and made money off of it? Its not like anyone forces you to buy Disney products. No one forces you to see their movies. No one forces you to do any of that. Yes they made billions because they provided something that people wanted to see! What is wrong with success? Its not like they broke the law to make their movies. Heck they have broken ground so that other companies could make other movies.

I think that people just have this bitterness about success that the only way these people are succesful is because they cheated somehow. Not every company is like Microsoft.

As for Disney protecting its property from misappropriation, I see no problem with that. The last thing I want is for Mickey to start turning up in ads selling beer and cigaretts, there is a great image for our kids.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think that is the way Disney goes about protecting their copyrights. As they say those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well visit this page for a good start on why some people hate Disney, I don't agree with all views there but there is some good information and links to a couple of books on Disney: http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney.html

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People that live in glass houses will have big problems finding a maid that cleans windows.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I just don't like how they killed off Future Corps and the band at Epcot.

That and Eisner sucks **** out of Pluto's ass :D

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My biggest problem with Disney is also my biggest problem with McDonalds: Unabashed consumer brainwashing of children. The entire point of both of these enterprises is to hook kids when they're very young and keep them buying loads of crap until they're adults (disney, then you can buy the damn things for your kids too) or until they die (mcdonalds). Instead of "finding nemo" simply being a good movie for kids, it had to be turned into furniture and toys galore and bathtowels and cereal and ... even a happy meal, i think.

Disney's goal is to make every kid think, "If my parents love me, I'll get this". That's not fair to any parent, and it's certainly not fair to poor kids.

Disney = destructive excess consumerism that should be stopped. Not by law, but by boycotts.

This is part of why I hate the movie "Shrek 2". The point of the first shrek, as i saw it, was a mockery of Disney's "everything needs a sequel" "Merchandise everything" philosophies. Then Shrek gets a sequel and becomes the most franchised movie character in history. I saw at least 3 different kinds of Shrek cereal the other day at the market, including one cereal invented just to carry the Shrek name.

paul