Disney Building a Unit to Make Pixar Sequel Movies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LaMerVipere, Feb 1, 2005.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

The Walt Disney Co. is building a new animation unit to create feature film sequels to the hits it made with Pixar Animation Studios, starting with a "Toy Story 3" feature film due by 2008, studio Chairman Dick Cook told Reuters on Tuesday.

Fans have wondered for years whether Disney would make the next "Toy Story" as a straight-to-DVD project, like follow-ups to Disney hits such as "Lion King."

But Cook said it would be a theatrical release.

Disney has the right to make sequels to films from the Pixar relationship, with which Pixar could cooperate or not.

Pixar has not shown interest thus far, but Disney is moving ahead with plans of its own.

More...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's interesting since there was just an Orlando Sentinel article about how Disney closed their animation studio here just one year ago.

Since they are really about doing it at low cost, can they do something so big and succeed?

3. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Yeah, I think it's pretty much going to be a disaster. Poor Disney, heh.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Uh, we're talking about the company that turned The Hunchback of Notre Dame into a HAPPY movie... and then made a sequel, even though pretty much everyone dies in the original novel. (Victor Hugo must be spinning in his grave.) There hasn't been an original idea at Disney since The Lion King, more than 10 years ago. So of COURSE they're going to try to make a buck with Toy Story 3, A Bug's Life 2, and Monsters Inc. 2.

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I can't believe that Disney would even think of making sequels to any of Pixar's films. Why would Bug's Life need one?? Disney is just out of ideas and cannot think of anything creative. I was in Blockbuster earlier today and they now have Mulan 2. Why?? Disney just needs to put out one good animated film a year like they used to and stop with this 8 sequels direct to DVD, 2 full-length feature films and 1 computer animated film every year.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure they'll have to hire two plastic managers for each worker.

I wonder if they'll hurt Pixar's reputation since they've always tried to minimize the Pixar name in the marketing materials.

"If we can't put a turnstile on it, we don't want it." :eek:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Disney Building Unit for Pixar Sequel Movies

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8180

Hmmm...... making sequels for Pixar's films....without Pixar. Sounds fab, except how are they going to get the stories and animation without Pixar there to make it all for them? Pixar has been carrying Disney on it's back for so long now. If it weren't for Pixar, Disney would be releasing Mulan 6 straight to video right now instead of Mulan 2 (which is being released direct to video :p ).

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Its going to be horrible without Pixar. Although people will still see them because Disney will throw in a line such as "Sequel To Pixars Animated Film....." and people shall become confused. ;)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'd just like to say that I will NOT be going to any bastardized, Disneyfied CGI films based on Pixar-created properties. Pixar = yes (good writing, good stories, great characters), Disney = no (squeeze a property dry, make idiotic sequels, can't come up with anything original).

Sadly, since CGI is getting cheaper and cheaper to create, we're going to start seeing a lot of cruddy CGI movies very soon (e.g., Shark Tale).

10. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I'd much rather see Walt Disney Studios make a successful sequel of the original Walt Disney Studios.

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Sorry to "dissapoint" but Loin King was just a rip off of Kimba the white lion...

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Designed by Disney in California (made in China)

My guess (pure speculation) is that the bulk of the grunt work will take place in China or India. The California animation center will house storyboard and pre-visualization artists as well as project managers. Directors, writers and voice talent will stop by once in a while. They'll review the Chinese or Indian work in the morning / afternoon, send the storyboards and pre-viz models overseas, and the work will be done overnight and overseas. It's Disney, after all.

13. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

The vast majority of Disney animated films I grew up on were made long before I was born...and they were magical. Every time you'd go to Disneyland you'd see the same characters, but those characters meant something. And they meant the same thing (if not more) to our parents because they didn't have the number of choices we had for entertainment.

Sadly, visit any of the Disney parks and you'll see that most of those great characters, as merchandise, now sit on the shelves in the parks' stores well in back of merchandise Disney is pushing for whatever movie they released 5 minutes ago.

The days when Disney films had that unmistakable Disney charm are long gone. I wonder how Walt would run things nowadays if he had board members and stockholders to answer to. Like Steve Jobs, he'd have them in the palm of his hand.

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Lionking 10000000 1/2 anyone?

Pixar should just distribute their own movies now, Disney did none of the work yet have their name all over them.

15. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Disney is effectively dead. Eisner's tenure took the company from something legendary to something corporate.

They shut down the Florida animation studios, leaving only the Burbank headquarters left if they intend to do any more hand animation. The trailer for their next movie Chicken Little (CGI) is by far one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Disney is going to have trouble, because they don't have the creative genius of Pixar. Now we will see just how creative they are, it's easy to live off of some one else's work.

17. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I don't care if Disney Movies die off.... as long as the theme parks stay open ;)

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish they would open up Itchy and Scratchy land.

20. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Disney is still running strong. They posted better earnings than exptected(5%), mainly due to their tv station and theme parks. And they still put out blockbuster movies, without pixar.

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Superficially at best. What made The Lion King work was the Timon/Pumba team, Scar and the hyenas. Good writing. Killer stamped scende. The animation was first-rate.

I used to watch Kimba as a kid (right before Speed Racer and Ultraman) with it's crappy Japanimation. Sure Simba/Kimba. Dead dad. Evil Mandrill vs. Wise mandrill.. but seriously.. Call it a "launching point", but a rip-off? No more than a Lexus is a rip-off of a Model T.

22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Why did the theme song from The Great Escape suddenly come to mind?
    :rolleyes:

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

"Oh, Uncle Scar, you are so weird" "You have NO idea"

One of the greatest lines evar! :D

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ummm give me an "ORIGINAL" story idea and give me a few months to research it and I bet I can find something very similar somewhere. Purely original ideas are pretty much dead. How many centuries of written language does humanity have? Now a days you have rehashed ideas and while no one can prove whether or not Lion King really was a rip of it doesn't negate the fact that it’s a DAMN good movie. Add to the fact that if you tell my uncle that it was a rip-off he will break your nose. I'm not kidding on that either. He was one of the animators on LK and the entire Disney team worked their collective asses off on that project and pretty much sold their lives to Disney through the project.

25. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

bousozoku
    Yeah, I sent my portfolio to them just before that happened only to get back a letter stating the "down" sizing/closing of a studio from them. I thought they just didn't like my drawings/fine art grades, until I read it in the paper/internet post :(
    So I guess I'll learn animation :p