Disney Buys Pixar for $7.4 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Disney issued a press release today announcing that they were acquiring Pixar in an all-stock transaction valued at $7.4 billion. According to the press release:

Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger.

Meanwhile, Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney's Board of Directors.

Steve Jobs is the present CEO of Apple Computer and there has been speculation about what consequences his new ties to Disney may have. Indeed, bringing Apple and Disney closer together with Jobs' involvement may cause some friction in future potential deals between Apple and other studios.
  2. macrumors member

Feb 18, 2003
    Watch your back

Bob Iger, watch your back!

You know what happened the last time Steve was appointed to a board....
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I guess this rings the death knell for traditional cell animation. Especially being from the Disney name.
  4. macrumors 68030

Oct 24, 2003
    The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    i wonder if steve jobs can save disney?

he's got a lot of spark but he is getting older!

should make it easy to get more content for itunes; not that abc has anything to offer at the moment
  5. macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    so how many shares does steve have. We will see feature length content on itvs next tuesday. That will be steve's first action on the board.
  6. Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Steve just took his first step toward retirement. :(
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 18, 2002
    Now it gets interesting...

Will Jobs be active among the Disney Board of Directors? Will this bring even more media over to the iTunes Store (probably)? How will the rest of the media industry react?

The coming years are going to be VERY interesting for Disney, Pixar (now Disney), and Apple.

8. macrumors member

Sep 7, 2005
    Oh, and one more thing...

Introducting MacWorld Orlando. And MacWorld Anaheim, MacWorld Paris, MacWorld Hong Kong, and MacWorld Tokyo.

The whole world in our pocket.
  9. macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    turn disney world into a giant apple store, seems like a good idea.

Soon, steve will become CEO and majority shareholder, and have apple buy disney for a very small amount of money.

To be serious, this could be a good move for jobs and apple.
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    If Steve Jobs isn't head of Disney before the year is out I will switch to Windows.

If he is head by the end of the year I may have to switch to Windows in 5 years!
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    Vostok, Antarctica
    Ah ****

Ah ****, I hope we dont get "Herbie and Benji" on iTunes.
  12. Guest

Are they keeping the "pixar" name?

I wish it was like the old days, a new disney channel original movie every month.

Johnny Tsunami
    Rip Girls
    Wish Upon a Star
    Jet Jackson the Movie
    Zenon girl of the 21st century
    Zenon the Zeaqual
    Zenon Z3
    Smart House
    Stepsister from planet wierd

and sooo many more...
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    John Lasseter is the real gain for Disney

Disney's creative juices have long since dried up, virtually all of the latest Disney creations have been flops... including their latest theme park attractions and parades. The big gain for Disney is going to come from John Lasseter's appointment to not only the Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, but more importantly the Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering!
  14. macrumors member

Sep 8, 2003
    Annandale, VA
    Mickey Mouse Club

Well, looks like the prospects of Disney-licensed iPods are most likely on the horizon...
    Time to brainstorm clever names for new Disney/Apple cross-branded products...
    Any takers?
  15. macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Adobe buys Macro

Disney buys Pixar

Hell, what's next?
  16. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Now would be a good time to pick up some AAPL. You know, before the major content announcements in a few months.

iTunes has 14% of internet traffic. Imagine what adding the entire Disney/Miramax/ABC/Lifetime/ESPN/E!/et al catalogue would do for traffic. And what those sales would do for the sales of iPods. And what those sales would do for the promotion of Apple computers, not to mention Apple's stock price.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    pixar will keep its name.....steve jobs said disney and pixar names have a lot of equity and itd be stupid to axe the name

now john lasseter gets some recognition for his genius
  18. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Congrats, Steve.

Assuming that Disney-owned content in iTunes continues to grow, we'll have to see if other media holders are more inclined to distribute through iTunes because they need to compete with the growing Disney catalog there, or whether they will assume Disney is getting special deals and look to the competing distribution channels to avoid a negotiating disadvantage. Will Disney rivals think that support for iTunes = support for Steve Jobs = support for Disney?
  19. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm not too keen on business talk... so what does all this mean for Steve Jobs? Is he no longer the CEO of Pixar or what?
  20. macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Jan 15, 2003
    Not necessarily. I believe I've read somewhere that Pixar was, at one time, planning a 2-D studio.

21. macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    CNN (Headline News) is announcing that an interview with Jobs is coming up in the next hour.
  22. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    be interesting to see how all of this ends up panning out. interesting times ahead for sure.
  23. macrumors member

Sep 8, 2003
    Annandale, VA

Got in on AAPL last February...
    My portfolio is happy.
  24. macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Shorted AAPL last Tuesday - my portfolio is happy as well. :p ;)
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe this will finaly be the end to those terrible Mickey Mouse PCs. You know, the ones where the monitors have big Red ears sticking out?