Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walt Disney Studios launched Disney Movies Anywhere, a new online service and companion iOS app that allows you to buy Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies and watch them across multiple devices. The service has a catalog of over 420 films, with individual movies costing $19.99 each.

disney-movies-anywhere.jpg
Powered by Disney's Keychest video-on-demand service, the Disney Movies Anywhere app lets customers browse or search through Disney's vast mobile library and then purchase titles for playback from within the app. The app streams the movie to an iOS device, with an option to download content for offline viewing.

Disney Movies Anywhere will be popular among families, and Disney has added parental controls to the app. Parents using the app on multiple devices can restrict viewing on a per device basis, allowing a parent to access the full catalog on their personal iPad and only G-rated movies on a child's iPod touch.

Apple users can link their iTunes account to the Disney Movies Anywhere app and sync eligible films with their iTunes library. In a launch promotion, Disney is offering Pixar's The Incredibles for free to customers who enable this iTunes integration.

Disney Movies Anywhere is available for free from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Disney Launches 'Disney Movies Anywhere' App With iTunes Integration

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
$19.99 for ONE disney movie? Or am I getting it wrong? ... I think I am getting a stroke over here.

mek17

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
It appears that linking your disney and iTunes accounts through this app results in an upgrade to HD for previously redeemed SD digital copy codes that came with blu rays. It also appears that digital copy codes that were previously unavailable for redemption in itunes and thus had to be redeemed on amazon or elsewhere now become available in itunes when you link your accounts. Very nice.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Need to also get this on the ATV. Seems very nice for families with children, although $20/movie seems like a bit high, IMO.

cchanlatte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
Another plus to this linking: Content previously removed in iTunes due to going back to the "Disney Vault" such as the Lion King is now accessible again. Nice!

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
$19.99 for ONE disney movie? Or am I getting it wrong? ... I think I am getting a stroke over here.

yep, that's Disney's going rate :eek:

it seems like a nice app, but you can't buy movies "in the vault", like Aladdin (no option to buy, preview only)

Last edited:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Too rich for my blood and my kids are almost teenagers now, but if I were a parent of very young I would round up a few parent buddies and chip in for shared communal access (seeing as there doesn't appear to be a device limitation).

*edit* Disney's site says 8 device limit. But still, fairly doable for a group.

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Most HD movies on iTunes come down in price. Start at $17.99 or $19.99 to eventually become $14.99 or $9.99.

Children's animation movies go on sale but rarely stay low. Toy Story movies, and virtually all major releases from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks have stayed at $19.99. New sets of parents are always buying these movies. When we were robbed last year, one thing they made sure to steal was out archive collection of DVDs. They left most of the movies, but took all animation and TV series.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Downloaded this when i heard this morning.

Strange way to get The Incredibles...I thought I might have to buy it but it came free.

Pretty neat. though not sure why I'd use this over the iTunes versions I already have, but maybe this is solely for the Disney App purchased moves with Extras.

Anyway, nice to see it.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US

Strange way to get The Incredibles...I thought I might have to buy it but it came free.

Pretty neat. though not sure why I'd use this over the iTunes versions I already have, but maybe this is solely for the Disney App purchased moves with Extras.

I agree, I don't know why I would use this app over my iTunes match videos access :confused:

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010

Need to also get this on the ATV. Seems very nice for families with children, although $20/movie seems like a bit high, IMO.

As others stated, that is the going rate for HD Disney/Marvel movies in iTunes.

Oddly, I bought Frozen this morning and it is not showing up in this app.

EDIT: Frozen is there now. And it looks like films I had as SD Digital Copies from Blu-ray purchases I can now download HD. That is a nice benefit, and free. Going to go in and delete the SD copies and confirm it downloads HD.

EDIT 2: Yup. Confirmed my Johnny Depp Alice in Wonderland was an SD Digital Copy (bought the BD). Deleted it from iTunes, went to Purchased, downloaded the HD, with iTunes Extras.

Now, I have been buying exclusively from iTunes lately because of the SD Digital copies the BDs come with. Now that I will get the HD copy, it might be worth going back to buying the discs, which you can sometimes get cheaper.

Another bonus? For those that redeem Disney Movie Rewards? The downside to buying direct from iTunes was you no longer earned points. Right after syncing this app to iTunes? I got an email that 150 points have been added to my account for purchasing Frozen in iTunes today.

I am thinking this is leading up to an Apple announcement soon. Would be awesome to see this added to the Apple TV, with support for the Extras!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Does this affect our iTunes account at all? Do my purchased Disney movies still stay in iTunes and can be watched on my Apple TV under purchased movies?

leo8877

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
My digital copy versions of Thor and Captain America are not showing up in my collection. Is anyone else not seeing their digital copy films showing up in the app after linking accounts?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
dying at those prices for a "file" especially charging more for HD in 2014. greedy bastards

thx ill stick to my BD + DVD + Digital Download combo packs for 13.99€ if i have to

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Does this affect our iTunes account at all? Do my purchased Disney movies still stay in iTunes and can be watched on my Apple TV under purchased movies?

Didn't fire up the Apple TV to confirm, but they do still show up in the iPad Video app as in the iCloud.

Newbie to buying Disney content, but this is buy once watch "forever" or buy once watch once gone?

A few weeks back when the story was all over the place that Disney move movies back to the Vault and people couldn't rewatch/download again popped up? Within hours, if I recall correctly, it was noted they were working with Apple and within a day or two it was resolved.

Of course, you wouldn't know that if you hadn't been affected, because not many new articles came out stating this, just "[Updated]:" stories.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
So, as others have stated, this bumps SD digital copies to HD copies...AWESOME!!

And from reading this, it sounds as though purchases made within the App will link to iTunes, so you have new purchases there too.

An article I read said available on iPhone/iPad and AppleTV...not sure if they simply meant AirPlay options or if this will be coming to AppleTV...what it would include that AppleTV Movies doesn't could be a way to watch "Extras" and supposedly there are FREE Bloopers, deleted scenes type stuff that is FREE-To-STREAM, not download.

Not sure if they have anything like this already, I think Disney offers the service, but I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take my many Disney purchased DVDs (back before Bluray) and "up-Convert" them to Digital Versions...I think you can send some DVD stuff to Disney and they will swap you for Blurays for like $8 or something. Giving the consumer the option to pay, say, $5 to upgrade DVD copies to Digital Copies helps get people into the "DIGITAL WORLD" and more likely to continue these Digital Purchases.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010

Anyway, nice to see it.

I think the reason why this is news is that before when you bought a Disney film on iTunes, it stayed on iTunes, but now (I assume) if Disney were to ever partner up with say Vudu or put an app on Roku, you would be able to access your films there as well.

I think... :cool:

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
This is like Disney UltraViolet, that happens to work with iTunes... for now.

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I LOVE this integration! - If UltraViolet did this I would actually use their service. I find it hilarious how people think $20 is a new price for HD iTunes Disney movies - that is what they charge - they are in their eyes premium movies and many are.

And the service it appears has you buying things in iTunes still, but now it is available outside of iTunes in this service - another cool thing is for many movies iTunes Extras have some of their videos ripped out and viewable on the service.

Very impressed

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
My digital copy versions of Thor and Captain America are not showing up in my collection. Is anyone else not seeing their digital copy films showing up in the app after linking accounts?

Those may have came out before Disney's purchase of Marvel. So maybe another studio owns the distribution rights. Also The Incredible Hulk isn't listed in my collection which was also prior to the Disney purchase, I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.