Disney movies...digital format or blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by miTunes75, Oct 4, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006

I am running into a dilemma. I love purchasing movies in HD through iTunes and run it through my appleTV. I love not having the discs flying around the house, etc. I don't have any storage issues when I do it this way. But, Disney has not released everything digitally as of yet. Many, many movies are available in blu-ray though. So, before I go into this purchase with Beauty and the Beast this weekend, I'm not sure which version to buy. I really think it'll drive me nuts if I have disney movies in two different versions. Example: If I want to watch G-Force, I don't want to have to think, hmmmmm now is that in digital format, or blu-ray format.

What is it ya'll do?
  2. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    That's very true.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 26, 2006
    New York, Baby!
    I hear Stevie J has a finger in the Disney pie... Maybe you could email him with that question :)
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2010
    The Disney blu-rays are much better quality IMHO and come with loads of special features and are cheaper. Love their blu-rays.
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    The way to do it is to build your library in a consistent fashion. iTunes content is in the .m4v format. The digital copies are in that format too. If you use AppleTV that is a good format to base you library on. If there is a movie that you cannot get in .m4v you will need to convert. A DVD can be converted to .m4v with Handbrake. A BluRay disk can be converted to .m4v with a combination of MakeMKV and handbrake. You can see other posts here about this process.
  6. ugp
    macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2008
    Inverness, Florida
    I would rather purchase a Blu-ray instead of the digital format. Blu-ray is far better quality and if you already have the player it's worth it. But I do understand liking the idea of not having to get up and search for a movie as well. For a few years I have streamed the majority of my movies through my XBOX 360 and had a huge catalog of movies stored on a External HD connected to my iMac. I can't see spending $20 on a HD Digital format that is only 720p when I can get the Blu-ray for the same price or cheaper in a lot of cases.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2010
    I like digital as you are more likely to watch it since it's easier to access. I have over 500 plus dvds & blu-rays combined. I hardly ever rewatch them anymore. Since apple tv is now in my house, I find myself using that more than physical media. True, blu-ray is far better quality - but at times it could be touch to tell the difference between the two. Just my two cents.
  8. macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2009
    Hermitage, TN
    There is a huge difference in quality between Blu-Ray (better) and Apple Digital Downloads (good, but not the best). The fact that you can't see this worries me or makes me wonder if you are using HDMI and/or a HDTV.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2010
    LOL. Thanks, but you don't need to worry about me.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2008
    Dont some Disney blu Ray movies come with downloadable versions?

Either way, I buy the blu Ray versions and convert them using makemkv and handbrake.
  11. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Blu-ray is almost always cheaper with Disney and you get more features. I paid $10 for Snow White (Amazon), $10 for Sleeping Beauty (Amazon), $10 for UP (Amazon), $30 for A Bug's Life, Cars, Ratouille ( together from Amazon) and $25 for Monster's Inc, Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (together from Target) all on Blu-ray.

There are always coupon deals available with these.

Beauty and the Beast comes out tomorrow. Here's a $10 off coupon: