Disney-Pixar: It's a Wrap

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 24, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Disney-Pixar: It's a Wrap
    Description:: The deal, which would make Steve Jobs the Mouse House's biggest shareholder, appears to be done, and it could shake up the industry

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. mpw

I don't see how this would effect Apple in any way with the exception of it taking up more of Steve's time.

From an Apple point of view is this good news?

3. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Think content.

4. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

I have to say, I like the irony that Disney was the distribution channel for Pixar, and now Apple is likely to be a new distribution channel for Disney.:D

5. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, this probably means more Disney content on iTunes.

6. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

More importantly for me, with the "sharing of revenues/distribution" issues settled more quality animated films are guaranteed from Pixar, so we'll get more great Pixar content :cool:

7. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    Why isn't this front page news?

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Because other than the fact that this is (currently) slightly related to Steve Jobs, it isn't Apple or Mac related. Steve's role at Apple may not change much at all, and nobody can say it will until we wait and see what happens. If it DOES change, then it'll be Apple-related news.

9. macrumors 6502a

I would wager that being CEO of Pixar is more time consuming than being a board member for Disney.

Also, all the publicity Steve Jobs garners is free advertising for Apple.

10. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

I think it's good news. There's probably something BIG happening in the background.

11. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I read somewhere, sometime, that Pixar wanted out of the Disney deal after the original contract ended. Something to do with stifling creativity? Dunno.

Anyhow, looks like that's a thing of the past ... or SJ just needs the money :rolleyes:

Other than that irony, not very noteworthy. Disney content on iT? You'll be downloading more ads than content if their DVDs are anything to go by. :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Steve and the old CEO of Disney (Eisner) didn't get along. He's out now and it looks like Steve likes the new guy.

13. Guest

iGary

Because it is not official yet.

14. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well I see this as putting in an investment to the children, and thus an investment for the future. If this can used to reach children and let them see the Apple name it'll make them more likely customers when they have money in their pockets.

15. macrumors Core

as stated many times in the other threads about all of this. take a look at what Disney owns. with Pixar being bought, if SJ gets a large shareholding in Disney and a seat on the Board, there will undoubtably be a relationship with Apple, and Disney has a lot of weight behind it.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

It will be a 1PM EST ;)

17. macrumors member

gbruner

Steve isn't that short sighted. He's the kinda guy that wants creativity and quality control, and with this merger, he'll have it! He always left all the work to others at Pixar and he focused on Apple. I think he'll have more time for Apple now than ever.

I'm thrilled that John Lassiter is going to have so much influence at Disney! I think this is a major turning point for Disney to get back to the glory days of the 90s.

What I'm really hoping is that they will also reimplement 2D animation on some of their films.

18. macrumors 6502a

No, it was never about stifling creativity. The issue was that Pixar wanted a larger cut of the profits.

In the beginning, they were a mostly unknown studio (they did a few shorts and commercial stuff) that signed a deal with Disney to distribute and market their films. Disney benefited and Pixar benefited.

But now Pixar has a solid reputation for consistent quality and profitability. So they wanted to renegotiate the deal with Disney or find another studio that would give them more favorable terms. And rightly so, because they earned it.

19. macrumors regular

revfife

Look for a new "learning center" in Disney World sponsored by Apple soon! :D

And Disney Apple Store!

20. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

As some other commentator pointed out, while this may be great for Disney content, it might present an obstacle for other content, given that Disney competitors won't want to help Disney by supporting Disney's preferred providor.

We'll see.

21. macrumors regular

Hmm, what does this do to my Pixar stock? Does it get converted to shares of DIS?

22. macrumors P6

Peace

That depends on how the buyout is done..
    If Pixar becomes a subsidiary there will be Pixar stock.
    If it melds into Disney your Pixar stock will become Disney stock..

I think :)

23. macrumors member

Now I wonder what's going to happen to HD DVD

Back in 1998, Disney was reluctant to jump into the DVD bandwagon and made a serious dent in how fast DVD became accepted as the medium of choice (remember Divx?). I don't think the other media companies are going to forget that fact, since Disney controls so much of the Children/Family entertainment market, and many of their movies are classics that most familys want to keep instead of rent.

So if Jobs does indeed have as much clout on the Disney board as we've heard, and really wants to kill Microsoft's medium of choice, this could be the best way to see it fail.

Oh and yes, more Disney medium on iTunes is a given.

24. macrumors G5

nagromme

I'd say it IS big news for Apple.

Not because Steve Jobs will become less involved with Apple--he won't. He'll be involved with Disney instead of just Pixar, but Apple won't suffer.

Rather, it's big news because Disney owns a LOT of movie and TV content beyond just "Disney" stuff. The question of Apple getting access to that content, as they expand iTunes/iPod, will go from a question to a near certainty.

25. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

It seems as though everyone's forgetting ABC, ESPN, Miramax and A & E amongst others. That is a lot of content and could lead to a lot of sales through iTunes.