Disney producing toy story 3... without Pixar!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Don't panic, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Apparently Disney decided to go ahead in setting up a digital facility to produce Toy Story 3 on their own

link

I'm guessing Stev-o is not thrilled....

The ultimate irony will be if they set up the farm with G5s!!!!!!

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Watch Toy story 3 suck( compared to the previous toy stories). It most likely will be a big hit because of toy Story's repuation but, many movie makers will be complaining how it was nothing like the others. Disney starts a downward spin closing there theme parks and finally go out of business.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The real fun will start if they can't get the actors to do the voices....

Really sucks, though, for Pixar. And does this mean that Disney has the rights to Nemo, Incredible and Monsters Inc. characters? Scary, scary, scary....

D

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

scary indeed, but do you think Pixar would be that clueless as to let Disney have complete rights for everything like that? surely not....i hope not anyway!

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Stupid Disney - I bet they'll screw it all up, and release it straight to DVD like every other crappy part 2/3 they make of movies.

that is, unless Pixar plays along (which honestly I hope they don't), then it might get saved. But that's only if a deal with Pixar works the same way it has with their other joint ventures.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This is awful news. This movie will suck and everyone will assume Pixar is related and this will hurt thier rep for people who don't know any better. Hopefully it will turn out good but I'm not getting to excited.

jon

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm pretty sure they can get Tom Hanks and Tim Allen to the the voices.

Tom Hanks might cost them, but Allen is desperate for a good movie to get him back to stardom.

Top Story 3 will mark the end of the franchise.

Original > 2 > Home Movies > 3 :(

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well one thing's for sure, they won't get Jim Varney to do Slinkey, God rest his soul.

Absolutely pathetic. I have less and less respect for Disney.

9. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    With all this 'doom and gloom'ing can I take it we are not assuming that Steve is going to take over Disney once Eisner goes? ;)

Despite not being a shout out fan of TS2, the thought of TS3 makes me very scared....

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Since the Toy Story was Pixar's first film, and they weren't a big name then, I don't think that this will tarnish their name, especially because I think that the media will likely make a big deal about it not being in collaboration with Pixar.

12. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

Disney has the sequel rights to all of Pixar’s current crop of movies. This is not a matter of Pixar being clueless, but remember that before Toy Story came out, Pixar was unproven in terms of commercial success. They needed a big established company like Disney to finance and distribute their ventures, and in return for that Disney got a (rather large I believe) share of the profits, licensing rights, and rights to sequels.

Now that Pixar is established and successful, you can how any future deals are going to take this into account, and they can demand a much larger share of the revenues and rights for any future ventures. This is probably part of the reason Disney and Pixar had a hard time negotiating a new deal.

13. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

I believe that Disney owns the rights to all of them. Pretty sucky but a contracts a contract.

Maybe this is just Eisner sticking it to Jobs. Fast track the project so that its done before he steps down.

14. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Oh, absolutely. Not a critic in the world won't begin his review of "Toy Story 3" without mentioning that Pixar had nothing to do with it.

So hey, I'm all for it. Disney will fall flat on their faces, quite possibly won't even get Hanks and Allen, and most definitely won't get John Ratzenberg. (And we all know a "Toy Story" film -- or any Pixar film -- can't go without Ratzenberg!)

Eisner and Cook are smart, however, to bring in Andrew Millstein, who headed the now-closed up Orlando animation facility. Not the best you could hope for, consider Millstein doesn't compare to the talent Disney had back in the early '90s, but Millstein's Orlando division has been putting out far better stuff for Disney ("Lilo and Stitch," for example) in the recent past than their native California one.

15. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Precisely. Look at how many times the CNN article mentioned this was without Pixar, and it was only a small article!

Pixar will not take this lying down, and the frustration that they cannot control the sequels to any of these movies must have them boiling.

But, let's face it, when it comes to the inevitable war between Disney and Pixar trying to use the media to their advantage (Disney trying to ride Pixar's coattails, Pixar trying to distance themselves), who's your money on -- Steve Jobs or Michael Eisner?

Disney has the marketing machine, but Pixar as the savvy. Most parents already know to be wary of Disney sequels, and will watch the fine print more than usual.

I also expect this will end up being a direct-to-video release, so the buzz will be minimal anyway -- The Incredibles didn't make $70M in it's first weekend selling to 5 year olds, and 5 years olds and their parents will probably be the only people that even notice if this movie comes out.

16. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

How can people say if it is going to suck or not. It's not out yet. Unless you're related to Miss Cleo.

17. maxblazoid macrumors newbie

So they have the rights to the previous films.. What about the source models, renderers, etc? It's going to be a true turd if the characters look/sound out of whack....

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I see you're beginning to comprehend the true magnitude of the problem. They only have the rights to make sequels (and Pixar has the right of first refusal).

But that's okay, Disney has stellar credits in the CG animated field without Pixar. Remember Dinosaur?

Oh, you don't? :(

19. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Critics the world over may pan it, but kids aren't going to understand that it isn't the same Toy Story they know and love, and will pester their parents to see it regardless; or at least buy the DVD. That's how Disney manages to get away with all those direct-to-video shlock sequels of theirs....it's the kids that want them.

Ironic that this is one of the things that strained the contract, too: Disney didn't want to count any sequels made by Pixar as fulfilling their contracted number of films. They weren't going to get another Toy Story from Pixar, so in their view, they might as well take advantage of the franchise Pixar's built for them and make it themselves.

Of course, it'll suck. But I bet it'll sell enough copies to justify its making, and possibly justify Disney keeping the digital animation division and trying to set them up against Pixar and Dreamworks.

20. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

[​IMG]
    OH NOES!! Will it be as good?!?!?!

IMHO I think the only Disney movies I've ever enjoyed were with Pixar. Boo Disney... DOWNGRADE!

21. mixylplik3 macrumors member

Pixar does not need Disney. I'm thrilled they are going their seperate ways. I can't stand Disney. It's a smoldering shell of what it once was. I sold my shares years ago.

A Toy Story movie without Pixar is going to be crap. Total crap. You can quote me. Disney can't make a movie anymore. There is just no writing at that company anymore. Pixar has never had a failed movie. They are batting .1000! Disney, well, with Eisner butting heads with Jobs they are effectively killing their golden goose.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was another direct to DVD release. As the Disney brand continues to erode, I smile and laugh because Disney once was a great company.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What could the story line be? Toy Story 2 left it really closed up. Toy Story 1 left it fairly closed, but Pixar worked their magic and did a great job... but how can you expand the story?

Oh wait. There is no story. It is a modern-Disney film. Whoops.

(I agree, Lilo+Stitch wasn't too bad. But it just gets overshadowed by all of those other sucky films...)

23. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

disney lost it .... they were on a roll with beauty and the best and aladdin, and then they started blowing it. Pixar/Disney movies are good because of pixar; disney doesn't really contribute anything to them besides money. Disney will ruin the toy story series ... believe me.

24. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

25. Dahl macrumors 6502a

I read a while back about Pixar value as a unique brand has skyrocketed and most people now knows the difference between Disney and Pixar.