Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
So it appears that the Disney board has agreed an offer for Pixar that will make Steve Jobs the largest single shareholder in Disney as well as give him a seat on the board.

BBC News Article

I seem to remember that Steve rejoined Apple as a board member in 1997. He was running to company by the end of the year.

Any guesses as to how long we have to wait before the CEO of Apple is also the CEO of Disney?

It's no secret that Steve had ambitions of making Pixar the next Disney.

The big question is what does this mean for Apple. Can Steve really fill both pairs of boots or will he stand down at Apple to fulfil his Disney role?

I am hoping the answer is an absolute no. This makes me laugh on the one hand - to see Steve manipulate the position over a 10+ year span to get what he wanted - and worries me on the other - Apple may lose out on this one.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
jacobj said:
So it appears that the Disney board has agreed an offer for Pixar that will make Steve Jobs the largest single shareholder in Disney as well as give him a seat on the board.

BBC News Article

I seem to remember that Steve rejoined Apple as a board member in 1997. He was running to company by the end of the year.

Any guesses as to how long we have to wait before the CEO of Apple is also the CEO of Disney?

It's no secret that Steve had ambitions of making Pixar the next Disney.

The big question is what does this mean for Apple. Can Steve really fill both pairs of boots or will he stand down at Apple to fulfil his Disney role?

I am hoping the answer is an absolute no. This makes me laugh on the one hand - to see Steve manipulate the position over a 10+ year span to get what he wanted - and worries me on the other - Apple may lose out on this one.

SJ will never leave Apple. By joining up with Disney, he'll have a lot more influence on what content gets released to iTunes. He's only on the board of directors and it's doubtful that he'll ever be CEO. It's one thing being the CEO of two distinct companies but Disney is made up of a number of companies, it would be very hard for him to run them all at once. I believe his stake in Apple is larger than his stake in Pixar/Disney although his initial $10 mio investment in Pixar has paid off quite handsomely.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Wow, what a guy though. Disney and Apple!!
It's not a worry to me that Steve will leave Apple, Steve Jobs is Apple, Apple is Steve Jobs. They need each other. But boy, he has achieved so many things and he never even graduated college (neither did Bill Gates). Really says a lot about the world when people that do not follow the status quo are the biggest achievers. You just never know where you might end up. But I'm sure back in 1985 when Steve was let go from Apple that it started a fire burning in him that has probably inspired the motivation we see today.
Good Luck Steve.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I don't think there's much chance of Steve leaving Apple. It's one of the fastest growing companies in the world, thanks mostly to him, and I'm sure he wouldn't give up on it now. People seem concerned that he will focus more attention on Disney than Apple now, but this never seemed the case when he was chairman and CEO of Apple. Apple was always his number one priority and I believe it will continue to be.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Lets all not forget that this is a buyout of PIXAR by Disney. Apple has nothing to do with this other than the fact that SJ is running both Pixar and Apple.
SJ is going nowhere. I agree that he will leverage his position with Disney/Pixar to bring more content to iTunes.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Steve won't be going anywhere. I'm actually unsure that he'll have a whole lot of involvement in Disney—somehow, he doesn't seem like the Mickey Mouse kinda guy. Sure, he's bound to be interested in scoring deals with Disney on Apple's behalf, but other than that, it's a guess for everyone.

And Ugg, for the love of the kittens (and Lacero), don't be the second post and quote the first post!
-Chasen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.