Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Second screen or not, I really want to go see this. The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie, and I never got a chance to see it in the theater.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I think this is great! I don't think you will much from the movie... I am sure they have timed it so there is stuff to do only when there are important plot twists... Like lyrics show when they are actually singing... Or they make you tap on screen if you see something in the movie to get those points... I think this is great for the ADHD generation of kids that can't sit still at the movies anymore:)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Disney's Second Screen apps are awesome. It's sad however that their recent titles don't feature them as much.

This whole idea of it in a movie theater is a bit odd. Thankfully it's a limited theater promotion. It reminds me of special events like Rifftrax or the Grease sing-along releases. What they should have done however, was lend out iPads in a protective case for you to use during the event. I'm sure there are plenty of iPad 2 models that could be purchased cheaply and used in a program like this.

The bring-your-own iPad part of this is odd though, I can see some people coming into the theater (if the marketing isn't pin-point enough) and being confused what all these people are doing. Although they probably have some introduction video explaining the process.

If I were going to pay to see a movie in the theater, I'd keep my eyes on the screen the whole time. Not on my iPad... which will be glowing like the sun in a dark theater. Maybe an interesting idea for a theater in Disney World, but not for all movie theaters. (Although... it wouldn't be the first time Disney tested an idea outside of their parks and then incorporated it inside of them)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Awful

Second Screen is absolutely awesome at Home, but this is a godawful, stupid, wretched idea. Just look at the trailer - people aren't even paying attention to the movie, what is the freaking point of this?

----------

I hate this idea as much as the next movie buff — and by hate, I mean "despise with every fiber of my being," but if you go to a screening specifically billed as a "Second Screen Live" screening and get pissed about it, that's kinda your fault, you know?

The problem is it ENCOURAGES a culture of of bad behavior. Theaters have been doing "awareness" campaigns for the last few years to get people to shut their phones off. Now this comes along and it's telling these ADD kids that its "OK" to bring your iPads and be obnoxious in a theater. When movie companies should be teaching kids the value of actually WATCHING the movie.

----------

People need to chill out lol... this is just like Timeplay that's been going on in Cineplex theatres for a while now. This would be great for this genre of movie and for kids to play along. It's hard enough getting them to sit still for an hour and a half, so this would break it up a bit.

This kind of attitude ticks me off. You can't control your kid, so it's ok for them to be obnoxious, rude and destroy the movie going experience for everyone else. So hey, let's just further encourage the rude behavior instead of teaching them to sit still for 90 minutes - its not that difficult.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
A theater lit with the cool glow of iDevices filled with children "singing" along to all of the songs from The Little Mermaid? I'm fairly certain if Dante was alive today, this would be one of his levels of hell.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
hate to sound like a grouch but

NO.

Horrible idea. It's hard enough to get people to turn their ringers off or not check their phones during a movie. This is only "training" the younger kids that it's acceptable.

manghangson

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Srsly?

Soooooo, how many of you have small children who have seen this movie 100 times? I think after the 99th time the wonder of plot structure, nuance and character animation fades, just a touch.

This is a good way to add something extra for the kids. Judging by these comments, I'd guess that very few of you have children who have seen this movie on blast for a year or two.

I never undetstand the compulsion of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
do they want us to look at the screen or our iPad? What happens when something's going on in the movie and you miss it because you were looking at something on your iPad? It just takes away the whole submersive element to going to a movie theater and watching a movie. Every time you look away from a movie screen you disassociate yourself from the false reality that the movie is supposed to present.

I suffered an early case of that at a Blue Man Group concert. For a couple bucks you could, during the concert, enjoy an "interactive experience" of texting with the performance: a plot line of the concert was "get to the roof", and you participated by receiving & responding to directions/questions via texting. Amusing in itself (in an old-school "text adventure" way), it did detract from the experience by making you focus on the phone instead of the performers. I'd not recommend it.

Technology adds nothing to art. Two thousand years ago, I could tell you a story, and at any point during the story I could stop, and ask, "Now, do you want the hero to be kidnapped, or not?" But that would, of course, have ruined the story. Part of the experience of being entertained is sitting back and plugging into someone else's vision. The fact of the matter is, since the beginning of time, you could buy a Picasso and change the colors. That's trivial. But you don't because you're buying a piece of Picasso's f###### soul. That's the definition of art: Art is one person's ego trip.
Penn Jillette
...and the point of these "interactive second screen" things is to stroke your ego.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Soooooo, how many of you have small children who have seen this movie 100 times? I think after the 99th time the wonder of plot structure, nuance and character animation fades, just a touch.

This is a good way to add something extra for the kids. Judging by these comments, I'd guess that very few of you have children who have seen this movie on blast for a year or two.

I never undetstand the compulsioin of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

Because it's socializing your kids to be *****s in theaters. They already can't pay attention, why do you think it is ok for your kids to use iPads in theaters under ANY circumstances? You should be trying to teach them proper manners and how to actually, god forbid PAY ATTENTION to the movie that you paid for them to see. You want them to be distracted during a movie then keep them home. Your logic makes zero sense and it is what is wrong with this current generation of kids - permissive parents who think that technology is a good babysitter.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
This is a shameless example of Apple taking control and turning this "movie" into a giant advertising campaign to promote iPads.

The average person is unaware that Apple has a massive financial investment in Disney and all other parties involved in this production. Furthermore they're creating a wider gap between the haves, and have nots.

This is Apple manipulating the public for its own gain. A tactic that I find repulsive.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Uhh... for all of you freaking out about bright screens in the theater, let me just remind you that this is THE LITTLE MERMAID. Not the next 007 movie...

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
This is a god-awful idea. And you can bet if this program is successful they'll push out to other movies.

It's basically a ploy to sell more stuff. iPads, apps, merchandises. Disney won't care about your "movie going experience" if they can make more $ off of it.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
I never undetstand the compulsion of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

Sooooooooo, while it's true this particular "Second Screen Live" is not meant for most of us who are commenting, if you'll actually READ the comments (like mine), you'll see many of us are commenting on what kind of precedent this might set that could affect ALL of us.

Now, granted, no one is being forced to see this movie or any future "Second Screen Live" movie. But technology has a way of seeping in once it gets a foothold somewhere and there's always the possibility of technology being where you don't want it to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.