Disney's Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sol, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

It looks like the Toy Story franchise will be milked for all its worth by Disney after Pixar's departure from the company. Toy Story 3 will be made without Pixar.
    www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=150487

This is the price Pixar paid for trying to renegotiate a better deal with their distributor. Disney have no chance of creating a Toy Story which will be half as good as either of the first two films; Pixar wrote the book on CGI films so they are leaving big shoes to fill.

Disney are short-sighted fools. Everyone will compare their Toy Story to those by Pixar. They should try making Mickey Mouse & Co. CGI films instead; that would be a fresh start for Disney and a more exciting prospect than a road movie with the Toy Story cast.

As for the intelectual property they own, Disney should continue to make games, toys, books, etc. I do not see any problem with merchandise based on Pixar's characters, but a flop movie would surelly de-value the intellectual properties owned by Disney.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Disney is a good company they can pull it of. If i had any say in the matter i would much rather Disney to make something new and prove itself in this market. Milking Toy Story would do one of two things, either it would make a lot of money and Disney would look for new projects or make not as much and then they woukd have took one steb back.

3. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

It's gonna suck

and go straight to video. Disney is loosing their touch with animated movies. Just look at the latest offerings. I can't name one hit animated movie from Disney in the last 10 years that wasn't a Pixar flick. Disney is a company that is going to go down the toilet if they don't shake things up a bit. Even their parks are starting to suffer. The last time I was at Disney World, I was so dissapointed in the state of the park that if I went back, I would rather visit Sea World.

4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Depends on your definition of "Hit", but in the last ten years Disney has made the following successful (at least monetarily) films: Mulan (1998), Tarzan (1999), The Emperor's New Groove (2000), Lilo and Stitch (2002). While none of these are as huge as Pixar's movies (NOONE makes movies like Pixar), they still represent a successful track record. People get used to seeing $300,000,000 box office numbers and anything from Disney that dosent hit those numbers is considered a failure. It has also become vogue to rag on Disney recently. A "kick them while they are down" attitude, it seems to me. While Pixar is definately the leader in animated films right now, I still look forward to each and every Disney release. (With the possible exception of Chicken Little).

That said, doing Toy Story 3 is a no win situation. Being the third in the series, there is no way it will live up to the other two. Even if Pixar did it. But it will make a profit...

As far as the parks not being up to snuff... I would be willing to bet you that the bathrooms at Disneyland are cleaner than the kitchens in Sea World. Also, for comparison, you should visit Six Flags (CA). If you dont get shot by the gangs or catch a disease from the vomit ridden rides, you may have an OK time. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.