Display and videocard problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cuckoo, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    Hi Folks,

My question has two parts, for the first, since a couple of days I've got a nice apple 20" display. But now for the weird part. On my powerbook as a second monitor it works flawlessly. But on my powermac (G4-sawtooth) the system i bought it for it is a littly flaky.
    When i boot the mac ther is no picture. Only when the powermac goes to sleep and i wake it up again, then there is a picture.
    And since the display is installed the system crashes like carzy <like 2 times a day>.. so after repairing permissions and stuff without any succes

I called apple, and after telling this story and linking the display to my powerbook, it seemed logical to the both of us <the apple guy and me> that there is a problem with my videocards DVI interface. The VGA part used to work fine on a CRT Iiyama.

It's an old system, with an old card, so i can live with that diagnosis, it's some ATI with 32MB ram and a TV out, which i don't use.

So the apple guy sais, buy a new vedeocard or a new mac... Well, cashflowwise, i can't buy a new mac. Hence i'm looking for a new card.

I stumbled upon this card: ATI 9000 Pro 128 MB Mac for a sweet price. And although i know the ADC won't work on my sawtooth, the DVI will.

What do you think? Is it a good card? Will i notice some speed difference? Or is this card an overkill? Does this card support CoreImage?

Any advice? Thoughts? On the DVI interface malfunctioning?
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Hmm, I have the same problem with my Power Mac. It doesn't bother me too much because I seldom turn it off, just put it too sleep. And I found a workaround, as I need to turn on my display before I start the Mac. But it seems, I have a broken DVI interface, too, then...

Can't help you with your gfx card question, though.
  3. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    Well, it seems so far-fetched a broken interface..... that is what 'itches' me in this..

I don't mind buying new hardware <ok ok, i love buying new stuff> But i doubt if it solves the problem, and I would hate that...

It's a bit too weird ...

But thanks....