Display and videocard problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cuckoo, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Hi Folks,

My question has two parts, for the first, since a couple of days I've got a nice apple 20" display. But now for the weird part. On my powerbook as a second monitor it works flawlessly. But on my powermac (G4-sawtooth) the system i bought it for it is a littly flaky.
    When i boot the mac ther is no picture. Only when the powermac goes to sleep and i wake it up again, then there is a picture.
    And since the display is installed the system crashes like carzy <like 2 times a day>.. so after repairing permissions and stuff without any succes

I called apple, and after telling this story and linking the display to my powerbook, it seemed logical to the both of us <the apple guy and me> that there is a problem with my videocards DVI interface. The VGA part used to work fine on a CRT Iiyama.

It's an old system, with an old card, so i can live with that diagnosis, it's some ATI with 32MB ram and a TV out, which i don't use.

So the apple guy sais, buy a new vedeocard or a new mac... Well, cashflowwise, i can't buy a new mac. Hence i'm looking for a new card.

I stumbled upon this card: ATI 9000 Pro 128 MB Mac for a sweet price. And although i know the ADC won't work on my sawtooth, the DVI will.

What do you think? Is it a good card? Will i notice some speed difference? Or is this card an overkill? Does this card support CoreImage?

Any advice? Thoughts? On the DVI interface malfunctioning?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, I have the same problem with my Power Mac. It doesn't bother me too much because I seldom turn it off, just put it too sleep. And I found a workaround, as I need to turn on my display before I start the Mac. But it seems, I have a broken DVI interface, too, then...

Can't help you with your gfx card question, though.

3. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it seems so far-fetched a broken interface..... that is what 'itches' me in this..

I don't mind buying new hardware <ok ok, i love buying new stuff> But i doubt if it solves the problem, and I would hate that...

It's a bit too weird ...

But thanks....