Display choice 2405fpw or 2005fpw or 2007fpw?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by arcsbite, Mar 29, 2006.

1. arcsbite Guest

ok, I keep going back and forth over this and it's driving me nuts...

basically...I need a monitor, in the next few months I lose my iMac and gain a mbp, so I need a monitor, I need to buy this monitor with my edu grant in April, I've been looking at my options, they are...

Apple 20 inch
    Dell 20 inch
    Dell 24 inch

The Apple 23" is too high for my budget.
    I'd love the 20"ACD but I think i need more connectivity and was hoping for more HD action.
    I'd love the 24" Dell but i'm not sure I need the extra 4 inches, or if it will even make a difference for the the extra £300
    I'm not sure about the 20" Dell as I wanted to play HD on it and i'm not sure what the capabilities of the 2005fpw and the 2007fpw are...

...just looking for random advice on these.

I already know that the ACD looks sweet, and the Dell's are a bargain...looking for advice more along the lines of "I'd recommend "This One" because...size...HD...blah.."

thank you very much.

2. platypus63 macrumors regular

I had the same dilemma as you. I've decided on getting the dell 24. Not the current one 2405, but the 2407wfp that has been announced and will come out very soon hopefully (it's already out in japan).

My reasons for choosing the 2407 is that, offers the high resolution of the 23"ACD, for just a tiny bit over the cost of 20"ACD. Has every imaginable connection option, card readers, and usb (no firewire :( though).

One more thing is that, although it is a shame that we might have to put up with this, the 2407 will have HDCP support, whereas the apple monitors, the 2405, and the 20" dells do not have hdcp support. I say it's better safe than sorry in regards to hdcp.

And finally, the 07 dells look a tiny bit prettier than the 05 dells. Still nowhere close to apple design, but something is better than nothing.

3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I looked into the 2407's but they keep getting pushed back, I liek the design a loit more than the 2405's, problem is, it's really hard to get a great deal on them here in the UK, so trying to get a good deal on it the minute it comes out will be a nightmare.

I was pretty much set on the 2405fpw, but then part of me thinks £300 more for the extra 4 inches is insane, I don't know if there is any other difference (like the apple 23 is HD but the 20 isn't)

plus, i'm currently using a 17" iMac, so part of me is saying "Save the money, get the 20" dell, it saves money and it's still an upgrade on the screen size you're used to"

*sigh*
    it seems the more time I have to investigate these things, the harder the choice gets....

..i miss impulse buying