Display Help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dross, Sep 20, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

The goal was to use my new TV as the display for my old Dual 800 and a wireless keyboard and mouse. So have conected by Dual 800 to a Sony LCD projection TV using a DVI cable. This was not small achevement and I asked for help in a posting entilted DVI Cables. First I needed a ADC to DVI converter. Then I discoverd that ther are 2 types of DVI conectors and the cable I purchased was of course the wrong one. But finaly I got all my M into F and fired up my computer. All seams to start fine and the TV displays the grey screen with the Apple logo in the middle. Then the screen goes black and that is the end of the story.

SO I NEED SOME HELP.

I think I might have the resolution settings set incorectly but I do not have a nother display at home to plug in to check or change them.

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

It probably is the resolutions, especially since right after the apple logo it goes nuts (when the extensions load is when res is set). Have u tried the basics.....resetting pram. Possibly (unlikely) that might help. Other than that I dunno....

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

there must be some key combo you can hold down during start up to force the video card to remain in a default low res settings. it is very likely that a television monitor can not maintain the higher settings you likely had before. usually television monitors max out at 800x600 or 640x480 unless of course it is an actual HD television (not ED) then im pretty sure those can handle higher resolitions.

4. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

That would be great if I could force it into a low res mode and then increase it to see were the TV craps out. Is there a way to do this?

5. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

just out of curiosity have you tried booting in safe mode?

holding shift while ya boot.

(i know this does not swithc res's but you never know, it can solve some pesky problems)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I don't think your TV can handle the resolutions that a computer offers. TVs were never meant to be looked at less than several metres away, LCD or CRT, so pixellation isn't as much of a problem, as you're sitting so far away from LCD TV's. Computer LCD's are different, and much more expensive for the inch. However, they handle higher resolutions.

Using a 30" Apple LCD as a TV would be greeeeat. :)

7. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

This is a is the top of the line Soney HDTV. It has the same resultion as there Plasmas and LCD TV. I do not think I will be able to run it 1280 X 1024 but maybe something like 1024 X 768. We will see.