display issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ifjake, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i originally thought this was a hardware malfunction but it might just be a software issue with some characteristics of a hardware malfunction but i am not certain. i have this display issue where after i open my powerbook ti, it get this nasty static looking mess all over the screen. i have had a similar problem before, and i sent it away to apple and they replaced my logic board because something about the graphics was faulty. this time though when i repaired permissions i got a few messages about colorsync or something color related like that and then after the repair the screen looks fine. this makes me think this is software related, especially since it has started only after i upgraded to 10.3.9. but could messed up permissions be the result of something awry in hardware? if this ends up being a recurrent thing, are there any diagnostic steps i could possibly take before i call apple? (word of advice: get applecare, especially if you have a portable. one of my smarter moves) oh, and would sending your computer away for the 4th time constitute any special treatment? i swear if this is a hardware issue i have the quintessential lemon of apple computers. their software is fantastic, which can be attributed in part to how it's designed for the closed group of apple hardware, but the actual condition of their hardware is just sad.

2. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm back and i have more for you. here is the log from when i repair permissions after the problem occurs, and attached is a screenshot of the problem, which interestingly enough gets captured in the screenshot. the references to ColorSync lead me to believe it's related to the problem. repairing permissions appears to fix the problem, but then it comes back after a while.

Code:
    Repairing permissions for “hard drive”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.  New permissions are 16893
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles.  New permissions are 16893
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.  New permissions are 33261
    We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs.  New uid is 1
    We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool.  New uid is 1
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete
    i ran the Apple Hardware Test CD that came back with my computer when i sent it away to be fixed and it reported no hardware issues.

again this happens sometimes when i open my powerbook Ti from sleep, and has only started occuring since i installed the 10.3.9 update. i had a similar problem like this in the past, but it definitely was hardware and when i sent it away they put a new logic board in it to fix the video processor. anyone know what's up?

Attached Files:

3. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahhh it keeps happening. please if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this please do tell. i have so much work to do this week for final projects and i need my computer to display what i'm working on.

repair permissions report this time was identical as before.

4. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

could someone move this to the hardware forum or something for me?

5. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

i keep getting the same messages from repair permissions. would it be safe to delete any of the files listed above, so that maybe OS X would rebuild them?