Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugals

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I recently brought my G4 12" iBook to an Apple-certified store to have a new hard drive installed (the original one had died). When they went to give me my computer back, I noticed that the display latch was broken--it wouldn'tt close or open unless you struggle with it. The store says that the latch must have already broken when I brought it in, because, as the tech said, "We didn't even touch the LCD during installation." But I know the latch was fine before--when a worker accepted my computer when I dropped it off, he opened and closed it with ease.

I complained, so they kept it a few more days to have the tech look at it again. Today, the store called me today to say that they recalibrated the LCD latch (emphasizing that they didn't touch the LCD during the installation), but that it still sticks sometimes. I'm not sure why they keep focusing on the LCD screen--couldn't the problem be in the latch part that's near the trackpad? (since I don't have my iBook right now, I can't remember how the latch works exactly).

Does anyone know enough about iBook repair to let me know at what stage of the hard drive installation the company could have broken the latch? I'd like some ammo/knowledge when I go and complain to the manager soon.

Thanks!

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
USA
bugals said:
couldn't the problem be in the latch part that's near the trackpad?

Yes.

You may be able to google an illustrated teardown of the iBook G4, but if it's anything like my iBook G3, when you close the iBook, an arm from the top of the screen comes down and that arm fits underneath a latch inside the bottom part of the iBook in front of the trackpad.

Most latch troubles occur on the bottom half of the laptop. I know because it happened when I dropped my iBook. It's something that could've gotten messed up during installation of a HD or even if they dropped it. :eek:

Good luck with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.