Display mirroring on startup problem?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Frisco, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Okay let me see if I can explain this corrrectly.

I have a 1Gz Titanium Pb with a busted lcd screen. I have it hooked up to an old dell crt monitor, which works well.

However if I try to boot from a dvd to install-reinstall an OS I get to the blue screen, but I can't see anything--no menu bar or anything. There is no mouse pointer, until I move the mouse to the left for about 5 seconds and then it comes on the screen. This led me to believe that it is not "mirroring" until the OS is loaded up. I guess it is "spanning?"

Any way I just need to see the screen so I can install Tiger.

Strange issue I know, but thanks for any tips!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

My dual-video modes are messed up on my Titanium as well. I can't boot with two screens connected or else neither display is the "main" display. Quite odd.

Anyway, try booting with the lid closed, using an external keyboard and mouse. That will deactivate the internal LCD all the way, and should let you display normally on the external monitor. If that doesn't work, try booting without the CRT attached until OS X is booted all the way, then plug in the external monitor. It should automatically use it as the main display.

3. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the great tips! However still no go. I couldn't try your first suggestion, because I completely removed the lcd screen, so this is a headless Powerbook. Bad move I guess. I just couldn't stand looking at a broken screen.

Any way I think I might try hooking it up to my tv through S-Video.

Thanks again!