Display Problem - please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Angus Rowe, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Angus Rowe macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    I just bought a used 23" Studio Display to act as a second monitor for my 1.0 GHz 15" Powerbook. In my set up, the display is rather noisy -- there are consistant flickering lines of white pixels throughout the display. The lines are worst in dark areas, though they may just be showing up under contrast. The Powerbook it is connected to still looks normal.

The first strange thing is that the display works perfectly with another 1.25 GHz 15" Powerbook I have to test it on. In both cases, I have connected the monitor to the Powerbooks with a new Apple brand powered DVI to ADV Adapter.

The second strange thing is that the display is fine while booting up. The blue boot up screen is very crisp looking and noiseless. It only starts showing noise when the login screen shows up.

The third strange thing is that the lines persist even if I boot from disk.

Any thoughts about what may be causing the problem or how to fix it would be appreciated.

Details on my system are:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
    Machine Model: PowerBook5,2

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV350M10
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    It sounds like a problem with your powerbooks video card. especially since the monitor worked fine on another powerbook.
  3. Angus Rowe thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006

Yeah, I suspect that it is my graphics card. Any suggestions on how to confirm this and how to fix it?

Thanks again,